battery/charger

What will be the effects on a regular battery if the charger is set to charge deep cycle? thanks

Reply to
curt

Insufficient data for meaningful solution.

Reply to
Mjolinor

How does a battery charger differ en the way it charges a battery when set to "regular" as opposed to being set on "deep cycle"?

Reply to
curt

Depends on the battery technology and what it's used for.

"Deep cycling" could be good for NiCad batteries in _some_ situations, but sure death to a Lead Acid battery.

More info please.

Reply to
CWatters

The specific battery is: Titan 1100 battery charger is: Shumacher sports 15Amp. I think the difference would just be the charging cutoff voltage, but not sure. ( whether the switch is set to regular..ie lower cutoff voltage.) (switch set to deep cycle...ie . higher cutoff voltage)

Reply to
curt

Is it similar to this one?

I couldn't see a 15A model on their web site.

Reply to
CWatters

this is the specific charger:

curt

Lead acid cells are normally charged by a constant voltage source fitted with a current limit. When the battery is first put on charge the current limit kicks in. As the battery fills up it's voltage rises and eventually matches that of the charger so the current falls automatically. My guess is that the deep discharge switch changes the current limit not the terminal voltage but I might be wrong.

Reply to
CWatters

Thank you for your input. I started using the deep cycle position and my battery is MUCH better now, it also has a slightly higher voltage also. The batterie's capacitance seems greater. Again thank you.

Reply to
curt

Hi Curt,

I asked the makers what the deep discharge switch does to the fully charged voltage and they sent this very brief reply...

"Deep Cycle turn off point is 14.9-15.2"

I can't remember what the standard turn off voltage is but I think it's lower than that. In which case, charging a _standard_ battery with the switch on _deep discharge_ may overcharge the battery. That will only cause a problem if you forget and leave the battery on too long. eg it will bubble away ("boil") and you loose electrolyte.

For info...I keep my deep discharge battery on a float charger permanantly. I've just measured it and it keeps the battery at 13.6V without any boiling.

Colin

set to

but

current