Why Did This Battery Recharge?

My son's truck battery ran down, and I tried starting the truck by jumping my 600W powerpack across it. I heard the click-click of the engine trying to turn over, but no luck, so I decided to leave the pack attached for 15-20 min to charge the truck battery. As I went back to the house, I thought how's that going to do any better. Anyway, I waited 15 minutes, and it started right up. Why?

--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

Even a partially charged battery can supply a higher peak current than your power pack.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

ing

ng

ur

and when the powerpack was first connected the exhausted battery would have been drawing lots of current from it, when the OP tried to start the enginethe first time the truck battery was probably drawing current from the powerpack, putting a greater load on it and pulling the voltage down.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I just start mine of my solar array battery pack. 40 lead acids have no trouble starting a car.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

My ex-wife was temperamental.
90% temper and 10% mental.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

ping

ing

,

your

trouble starting a car.

Lead acid what? Forty lead acid cells could be 80V. I don't see a=20 way to get 12V though (six strings of six leaves four extra). BTW,=20 one lead acid battery has no trouble starting a car. ;-) =20

Starting a car at room temperature is easy. At -20F you need a=20 little better battery.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

trouble starting a car.

Forty of standard car batteries (if you can call 100Ah standard), in parallel. This is 12 volts.

Unfortunately (I like the cold), we don't get those temps in the UK.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Confuscious say: "If you park, don\'t drink, accidents cause people."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

te:

jumping

trying

for

tes,

an your

no trouble starting a car.

llel. This is 12 volts.

You *are* a moron. One standard car battery is clearly enough.

Like I said, you *ARE* a moron. You're in the Donkey's class.=20

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

trouble starting a car.

Interesting diversion. How does this answer the question?

--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

jumping

trying

your

trouble starting a car.

parallel. This is 12 volts.

Enough for what? These batteries power a lot of the electrical things in my house. It's a solar power system.

A moron for not being a wimp?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

"When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power
left to get you to the scene of the crash."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

te:

umping

rying

or

es,

n your

no trouble starting a car.

I thought the moron was using 5AH SLACs or some such. Who knew the=20 troll was having trouble starting cars with forty automotive=20 batteries. =20

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

jumping

your

trouble starting a car.

Learn to read newsgroups properly. *I* have 40 batteries. *Watson* has trouble starting cars.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

You wag your tail like your mother, you repugnant, hairball engorging, cat
buggering, pseudo-human android spawn of a foul-smelling telephone solicitor!
Reply to
Peter Hucker