Compaq Armada 110 - SW1

Hi,

I have Compaq Armada 110. I've just upgraded the CPU from Celeron 700MHz to P3 850MHz, but the computer is very unstable after that. He can crash a few minutes after power on, and then I must wait to power it again.

I found SW1 switch near the processor. Does anyone know what it is about? How is should be set for 850MHz.

Any suggestion how to resolve this issue?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards, Blazej

Reply to
B³a¿ej

Most motherboards have pretty clear explanations for the functions of various connectors and switches printed directly on the PCB. There is also quite likely a diagram somewhere inside the casing which repeats the same information in a slightly more user friendly format.

Likely causes for an unstable computer after a CPU upgrade, in the order that I would check:

  1. Overheating CPU. If your CPU socket is Slot A (the actual CPU is mounted in a cartridge, with fan and heatsink being integral units) then this is not the case. Otherwise, there is a good chance that the heatsink and fan are either under-rated for the new CPU, or are not making a good enough contact with the surface of the chip. The heatsink is obviously making SOME contact, otherwise the PC would shut down within seconds, and possibly destroy the chip. Also, confirm that the fan has been connected to power correctly, and is turning.
  2. Incorrect settings. There are three of these to be concerned about - Bus Frequency, Multiplier, and Voltage. Ignore voltage settings - they're not the problem. The Bus frequency (which may be referred to by a different name) sets the clock by which the entire system runs. The multiplier steps this frequency up to drive the CPU. Many Intel CPU's do their own multiplying so this setting may not exist on your PC. These settings can be set either via hardware (DIP switches or jumpers), or in the BIOS software. The software will be self- explanatory, while the hardware almost always has a little chart somewhere to list the various settings for the switches/jumpers. The bus frequency and clock multiplier should be set to generate your new CPU's correct speed. Possible correct combinations would include a bus speed of 100MHz, and multiplier of 8.5x (100MHz x 8.5 = 850, the correct speed). It is important that the bus speed still match the capabilities of the other components (memory, etc), so you will most likely only need to set the multiplier, but as I said earlier, this is probably automatically controlled by the CPU itself.

Failing these two items, doublecheck that you didn't shift or damage anything while changing the CPU. there is a slim chance that the new CPU draws more power and the existing PSU can no longer reliably power the system, but this is VERY unlikely. The most likely solution is an overheating CPU.

--
Using Opera\'s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to