CET Technology DC/DC converter for VF-Display

I am repairing Thermo Orion 525A pH-meter with a VF-Display.

It looks like there is a short in the DC-DC converter module. The module is made by CET Technologies, model CT-1058. I am unable to find info about it on their website and they do not reply to my e-mails asking for help...

It has 7 pins, two for +5V/GND input, two for the 45V output and three strange pins in the middle showing about 6V on a working unit but when measured with ohm-meter they show short (transformer taps?).

I am looking for ideas of buying a replacement DC/DC module or to make something from scratch which will work similar. Please advise.

Reply to
Pszemol

Are the 6V pins used? Do they feed separate circuits?

NSM

They look like they are used. There are tracks goning from these 3 towards the display, but they disappear under it... There are three separate track going from them. I was thinking it might be heater for the vacuum display cathode? I have never repaired a device with VF-Display before, so I am not sure of the circuit... Do you know any schematic example? It looks like old, already "fogotten" technology today ;-)

What I am looking for is the place I can get replacement, or - an idea on how to build similar circuit from discrete components or other chip from different manufacturer...

Reply to
Pszemol

Go back to their site and get their phone number. Many of these companies no longer respond to emails unless they specificaly know the sender. They get too much Spam. When you call have your credit card handy to place the order (if the module is stillavailabe). Take care, it is now cheap to replace.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

If you brave and its not potted, pry the convertor apart and see if you can trouble shoot it. If its already dead, you cannot hurt it anymore than it is.

I had one of these displays on a Delco radio once that had me going. Turned out the tiny glass extension where they suck the air broke off and let the vacuum out.

Bob

Bob Urz

I might be inclined to try to cobble together a regular AC transformer type supply to keep this going.

has a couple of converters, one of which (CAT# DC-32, "2 for $1") is somewhat close, but it's either that or a new pH meter.

has some weird crap too (along with annoying Java pages) but you'll have to poke around there for a while.

NSM

It is potted, so no way to get inside :(

I will double check the display itself. And maybe replace the module from the good one to be sure.

Reply to
Pszemol

They responded with delay that this is special module made for Thermo Orion and I have to contact them for the spare... I can only imagine how much it will be from there :-) But I will give it a try.

Reply to
Pszemol