How to solder PLCC socket with surface mount contacts?

I want to put my motherboard 32-pin PLCC BIOS chips into sockets so I can hot flash them if they somehow get erased, as many of them have, but how cam I solder those sockets to the circuit board without special equipment? It seems that their surface mount contacts are inside the perimeter.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Simply, you probably can't. The board is likely multi-layered.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Unless the motherboard was explicitly laid out with the foil pattern for PLCC sockets, you're pretty much SoL.

How is it that you came to believe E2PROMs can "somehow get erased?" As I recall, most modern motherboard with FLASH update capability require that a hardware jumper be manually set before they will allow any writing to the chips.

Keep the peace(es).

Reply to
Dr. Anton Squeegee

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com

sockets,

recall, most

be manually

Static electricity...power surge? Chernobyl virus, before the jumpering practice began, I think...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

"Tom MacIntyre" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I use the "hot-flashing" consisting in removing the bad programmed chip, insert it in a working mobo, removing the flash from the working, inserting the bad programmed chip, and flash it, from dos using uniflash !

I.

Reply to
Inty

But the surface mount socket mounts on the surface, doesn't it? I already unsoldered the BIOS chip (solder wick and a double-edge razor) and can see all the solder pads.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com

It is laid out that way, and the motherboard working again with the BIOS chip held in place with a clothespin.

I ran NEC's Windows-based program to flash one of their DVD recorders (ND-2500A) and then power-down the computer, but when I turned the machine back on, there was none of the usual boot-up activity, except for the keyboard lights blinking. All the major voltages (+5.0V,

+3.3V, +12V, CPU core, DDR memory, AGP socket) measured right, the CPU worked fine in another mobo, and I didn't see or smell anything funny. Also this ECS K7VTA3 mobo has no BIOS protection jumper or a setup feature to prevent BIOS writing.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

chips.

I'm sure the erasure was caused by NEC's Windows-based flash program for their ND-2500A DVD writer because when I ran UniFlash to hot flash the mobo BIOS chip, I had the chip's contents written to a file, and that file looks like the NEC DVD writer's BIOS. The DVD writer did get updated though.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Uniflash was a lifesaver for me because Award/Phoenix's flash program refused to let me flash the "wrong" BIOS.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"larry moe 'n curly" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Why did you flash any bios via Windows ? Why didn't you flash via a boot disk with DOS, UNIFLASH and the relative .BIN fiel ?

I.

Reply to
Inty

"larry moe 'n curly" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

I was trying to flash the DVD writer's BIOS, not the motherboard's, and the drive's maker, NEC, provided a Windows-based flasher program that somehow managed to write the motherboard's BIOS as well. I later learned that they have DOS-based flasher.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly