Carver TX-2

Hmmm. Correct answer is boring, as opposed to your half-baked incorrect response which was not?

Interesting.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

As someone who worked for a Carver warranty station, I can say that Mark is 100% correct in his diagnosis. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Not to be picky, Mark, but it is MHz and KHz. A mHz is .000001 Hz (277.778 hours per cycle) and a kHz is .001 Hz (16.667 seconds per cycle). :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nonsense. I don't care where you worked.

Your analysis is simplistic. There are at least several other things that are more likely.

Why do you discount that the front end or an intermittent stage may be dead so no signals are even getting to the discriminator?

Why do you discount that there may be problems with the power supply and/or circuit using the tuning voltage?

There is NO reason at all to assume the discriminator has mysteriously become detuned. You guys hang out on Wiki too much.

Having the OP randomly tweak controls is an excellent way to screw things up.

Reply to
Don Bowey

See it all the time. This is the voice of experience. They do not "mysteriously" become detuned. It is a digital circuit controlling an analog signal, and dependent on analog components, which age and slowly change value by enough to cause this problem. Anyone who works on this stuff for a living can tell you that. I already suggested the other things that can cause this problem - low or missing signal strength, and a bad 7.2 Mhz crystal.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Sorry, I'll try to remember - getting old...

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

A correction to a correction...

Many years ago, it was KHz. When the decision was made that unit abbreviations would be capitalized only when they were derived from names (eg, hertz and Hz), KHz gradually became kHz. The latter is now common usage.

MHz remained MHz, because m has always represented "milli". MHz is megahertz, mHz is millihertz.

While we're at it, let's note that S represents siemens, s represents seconds. mS is millisiemens, not milliseconds.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Now Mike ... I agree with you about capital letters for Mega and Kilo. But I'm pretty sure that mHz is milli-Hz, not micro-Hz.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey