Carver TX-2

I just got a Carver TX-2. It works great but when I use the auto-tune it will only lock onto an even number freq. I think its set to the the european freq standard. Does anyone know if it can be changed? I thought there might be just a switch but I cant locate it. Thanks, Joe

Reply to
joemanenti

If the unit is equipped with an AM section, see if it tunes in 9kHz increments. If so this would confirm your theory about the Euro frequencies.

I'm not so sure this is your problem, however. The few Euro units I've seen mostly tune in 50mHz steps on FM, unlike 100 mHz US models, but you could still tune in a US station using such a tuner. Your tuner may have some other issue - the discriminator out of adjustment, for example. This could make it lock off to one side of station center frequency. Can you set the tuning mode to "manual" (as opposed to "Auto") and get the correct frequency to display?

If it is the Euro frequency issue, you can try pressing and holding a certain button or say two buttons at once while plugging it in, or turning on the power switch if it's a "hard" on-off type. Sometimes the FM button or freq UP button while plugging in, for example.

You might get lucky.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

s.

cy

The auto-tune works correctly on AM. On FM if the freq is 91.9 it will lock on 92.0 but if I switch to manual I can put it on the correct freq. Is the discriminator something I could adjust myself (I'm not a tech)? Thanks for your help, Joe

Reply to
joemanenti

I'm not trying to be a net cop, but you have your numbers and units confused. In the US, FM channels are spaced 200 KHz (not 100mHz) apart, starting at 88.1 MHz. The usual European spacing is 100 KHz (not 50 mHz). mHz is millihertz; MHz is megahertz.

From wikipedia concerning FM channel spacing: The frequency of an FM broadcast station (more strictly its assigned nominal center frequency) is usually an exact multiple of 100 kHz. In most of the Americas and the Caribbean, only odd multiples are used. In some parts of Europe, Greenland and Africa, only even multiples are used. In Italy, "half-channel" multiples of 50 kHz are used. There are other unusual and obsolete standards in some countries, including 0.001, 0.01, 0.03, 0.074, and

0.3 MHz.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

That's the typical symptom of the set being set for European FM standards. Look on the rear of the chassis for a switch that is labeled something like Chan Spacing, (Eur)opean/US, or something similar. The switch might even be inside the unit, so the cover might have to be removed to find it. Make sure it's on the US or 200KHz channel spacing position. Your receiver should work properly (unless it's malfunctioning).

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

ies.

een

ld

ency

ng

.

=A0Look

Chan

inside

t's on

roperly

s in the

There's no switch on the back and I removed the cover but I could find a switch. I'll take another look. Thanks

Reply to
joemanenti

I was saying that the tuners themselves were often capable of 50 kHz steps, which was true. Channel spacing is another matter.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

BTW I am indeed rather ignorant of tuning steps used wordwide. I still think the OP's got a discriminator problem, however. Station spacing at

100mHz intervals would not prevent a tuner from auto-seeking to say 107.3mHz, while I have personally seen discriminator problems do exactly this, stopping instead at say 103.8 meg.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias
700$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com...

..

ou

ve

an

d.

,

ters

In

I found the switch to change freq from US to Europe on the inside of the unit but that was not the problem. It was set to US. I think you might be right about the discriminator adjustment. Do have any advise on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe

Reply to
joemanenti

But your previous post said "50 mHz." 50 milli-Hertz.

Reply to
Don Bowey

..

ou

ve

his

le.

mHz).

ost

,

ters

In

ps,

-

I have determined that the freq step setting is not the problem. I think it might be the discriminator adjustment. Does anyone have any advise on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe

Reply to
joemanenti

I have determined that the freq step setting is not the problem. I think it might be the discriminator adjustment. Does anyone have any advise on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe

If you don't have the service information on this unit, either get a copy of the manual or take it to a qualified service shop. They will be able to properly diagnose the problem, and make repairs or adjust it properly.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

If the step setting is correct, the discriminator should not require any adjustment.

Reply to
Don Bowey

m...

the

Joe

ve

you

have

This

you

mple.

t,

0 mHz).

most

me

In

01,

acters

=A0In

teps,

ext -

What else could cause the auto-tune to lock off freq?

Reply to
joemanenti

Not true.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

What else could cause the auto-tune to lock off freq?

Low - no reception, such as a defective front end, or a bad 7.2 Mhz crystal.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I have determined that the freq step setting is not the problem. I think it might be the discriminator adjustment. Does anyone have any advise on how to locate and adjust the discriminator. Thanks, Joe

There are usually two test points near the discriminator transformer; one uses a DC millivoltmeter across these two, and adjsts the discriminator primary for (near) zero volts while tuned to a station near 98 Mhz.

A service manual is usually required, as the discriminator secondary affects the audio distortion, and you can't tell the players without a scorecard...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

m...

ve

t,

me

In

-

ts

.

Thanks for your help. Joe

Reply to
joemanenti

.

I have neither the schematics nor the service manual for it, and guessing would be a waste of time.

Reply to
Don Bowey

.

Yawn!