Car 240 v Inverters (ot)

Hi Just a quick OT Question. I have a modified 600w 12v -240v inverter and it ran my PC fine but would not run my wife's straightening irons (75W) whilst we where camping, (Not happy wife) is this because they have electronic temp control. wouldn't charge a APC UPS either. Is there any mods that can be done to the unit to round the output abit?

Andy

Reply to
Andy & Kim

You didn't have it on half power did you ? This sometimes uses as series diode. The inverter won't like supplying half wave rectified ac.

I can tell you a funny story about this too if you like ! ;~)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Reply to
nvic

The half power series diode on hair dryers ?

A customer of my client who had one of their amplifiers I designed complained of a noisy mains transformer. I think they sent a replacement but he said it was the same. I visited the guy and it turned out that it was a problem only when his girlfriend's hair dryer was on ( at half power ).

I deduced that his mains supply had a high impedance and the half wave rectification of the hair dryer was enough to add a dc component to his ac supply which caused excessive current in the transforrmer primary that in turn resulted in a line frequency hum.

Not actually funny ha-ha but funny odd.

I left him to figure out how he wanted to fix it.

To keep it simple. An inverter makes ac from a low voltage dc supply by various techniques using semiconductor power devices and then steps it up to mains voltage using a transformer. The wavefrom is rarely as purely sinusodal as your wall socket though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

rectification

caused

That probably explains why the isolating trannies on my bench vibrate like hell when I use my heat gun on half power, even tho the gun isn't plugged into the isolated supply.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems