can monitor harm the video card

can a malfunctioning computer monitor harm the computer's video card in anyway? If the monitor goes completely black, can that harm the card if the computer is left running? Thanks.

Reply to
herb_k

Anything is possible, but in my expirence a bad monitor won't hurt a video card.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Its happened to me a few times, but then at the time I used to service monitors for a living so I got all manner of weird & wonderful faults to contend with!

Reply to
ian field

highly unlikely, but nothings completely impossible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

unless internal power shorts/high voltage were somehow routed straight to the video cable sets/connectors, it is unlikely to cause damage

Reply to
<hapticz

I've seen a few cases where malfunctioning monitors caused computers to completely freeze and have to be rebooted.

--
Travis Evans
[The email address on this post is valid, but may change from time to

CRT flashover can do this or cause the PC to re-boot.

Reply to
ian field

My friend once fried his new,expensive video card..He was juggling cables/pc's around..went to re-connect the monitor cable to the PC,saw a small spark between the monitor cable shield and the vid card connector shield,Whatever it was it fried his vid card. New card,and new-ish LCD monitor,he's now very careful about connecting/disconnecting that monitor now.

Reply to
PhattyMo

Were either the monitor or computer 'hot'?

Reply to
HankG