Potentiometer of Technics 323 tuner amplifier

Hi!

I got Technics 323 tuner amp, which is lacking a volume pot. It has balance adjustment on the same knob, too. The knob came with it, it has a "head" and "sleeve" which both have the same radius, and have no space between them.

So might the balance adjustment be done so that the "head" just adjusts one channel and the sleeve the other, and thus their ratio could be adjusted, and when the volume is adjusted, both of them (ie. the entire knob) are turned same amount?

What might be the name of the pot of such kind (a stereo pot having the both channels separately adjustable?)

Then there is one more problem. There is a 5-wire ribbon cable for connection of the pot...what might be the pinout? Or if anyone doesn't know, how could I analyze it with a scope maybe? It just cannot be easily done by analyzing the circuit, since the mainboard is very complex and has a lot of stuff above it, and the device hasn't a detachable bottom, so disassembling for analyzing the circuit would be quite an infernal job...:<

-- Top-posting not supported.

Reply to
Simoc

Concentric pots. The volume one is a pair of pots, on cheaper gear with a power switch on back. VERY hard to find a replacement these days - I remember Centralab used to advertise a system where you could snap a combination of parts together to make up one of these.

They seem to be long gone now. Good luck. Even if you find one, if used / eBay it may be in poor shape.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Simoc" wrote in news:1164217441.280032.134440 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Jim Land

And while you're at it, lose the "top-posting" nonsense. No one elected you sheriff of this one-horse town.

Mark Z.

Simoc wrote:

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Nor you. Top-posting is not supported by netiquette, and has never been.

If you don't have anything to say for the subject in question, don't whine about a signature. Get a life. I'm not a sheriff, I'm a voluntary worker. If I find you driving wrong side of road, I might complain, even if I'm not a sheriff.

-- Top-posting not supported.

Reply to
Simoc

Thanks for your suggestion, although it might be a bit expensive with the costs of delivery to Finland...so I'm still hoping if it'd be possible to go without it. But maybe it isn't :<

Thanks, however.

-- Top-posting not supported.

Reply to
Simoc

Thanks for the info. If it's too hard, I might just substitute it with a regular pot. But I still would like to know the pinout :)

-- Top-posting not supported.

Reply to
Simoc

"Simoc" wrote in news:1164369823.568626.28170@

45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

which

Reply to
Jim Land

The 'pinout' for pots is almost always 'standard', the most clockwise one is high, the most anti clockwise one is low, the one in the middle is the variable tap. You used to sometimes find another tap on the pot which gave a sort of bass boost at low volume but that is very old now.

For the balance pot, the two outers are usually left and right and the center is ground. How that relates to any ribbon cable is up to the makers.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com kirjoitti:

Yes, I thought that....

Thanks, a great idea. But actually, I recently figured out myself a different kind of idea, would that work? The thought:

-(I actually have already known the gnd, since it's easy to measure ohmically to some known gnd point), then:

-To feed a signal to the input of the amp

-To find by a scope, which two wires have that signal --> the high ends

-The rest two ones --> the wipers

Would this be a reliable way?

Thanks in advance.

-- Top-posting not supported.

Reply to
Simoc

Can you clarify?

Are there two pots total which adjust separately or together or one ganged pot and one separate balance pot?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson