Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (pics included)

Seymore4Head wrote, on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:57:42 -0400:

He's about 6'2" or 6'3" tall.

And, those are the *small* redwoods halfway down.

The big redwood tree is another ten or twenty feet below that, downhill, whereas the 100-foot long 10-feet wide suspension bridge will be level.

It's a "home engineering" project, in the Santa Cruz mountains!

Reply to
Danny D.

Danny D. wrote, on Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:09:36 +0000:

Sorry it took me so long.

Here's a picture of the method we used to level the two 100 foot cables:

We basically made a ten-foot wide T-square, where we used a level on the vertical bar to measure how level the two cables were.

If they weren't so high off the ground on the very steep slope, we'd just hang a lead weight from the midpoint of each cable, with an even length of rope for each cable - but we preferred to work at the only *flat* part along the entire 100 foot length of the two cables.

It was really difficult working in the trees to pull the cable around as it's both very high up in the air, as you can see by this netting we rigged:

And, the last redwood tree downhill itself is pretty gnarly, as shown here looking up at the same netting but from the safety of the ground:

Danny D.

Danny D. wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 05:38:07 +0000:

You can see the fencepost digger in that picture above, over to the left.

It wasn't easy, mainly because the California sediments are hard as rock this time of year, and, we were roped to trees so we wouldn't fall down the hill while we were drilling the fencepost hole in the slope:

It was my first fencepost hole in my life, so, I was surprised that the two bags of concrete mix went in dry:

Being on a 45 degree slope, it was impossible to keep the water in the hole, so, we tried containing it with a cut-off bucket - but it didn't work all that well to contain the water:

The second fencepost hole, for the drawbridge-like structure, wasn't as hard to drill as it was on a much (much) flatter portion of the hill where a path crossed under the cables strung between the redwood trees:

The last step of the evening was to stain the boards that will be used for the hundred foot long ten feet wide bridge from the top of the hill to the far redwood tree:

Danny D.

When i have seen that done it didn't work out that well, the concrete never set properly. Sometimes it had to be dug out a few years layer and done normally mixed before placement after removing the mush.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk