Boycott Toshiba

And your person who has never seen a copier knows what the developer bias does, or the transfer voltage, etc when looking in the service manual. Not probable.

Fixing anything that is broken, assuming they can figure out what is broken in the first place.

The 'good reason' the business products division does not sell service manuals except to authorized servicers/dealers is that the business products independent dealer network has specific territories that they cover and are contracted to cover for the manufacture, the manufacture's end of the contract is to help ensure that no one can infringe on the territory.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Well... There ARE ways to get one's hands on some service manuals. Depends on the particular brand. I have some manuals still in storage for Xerox and one or two Models of Canon. I was able to purchase them from a company that reverse engineered them. though the Xerox dupes look just like the OEM manuals. And there are individuals out there that "hack" just about anything electronic that's worth it in the first place.(I've gotten invaluable info from just such persons who've devised work-a-rounds for many of the built in breakdowns built into many of today's office machines. Xerox's counter fuses come to mind, that blow after X number of copies and stop the copier dead. Even though the drum unit still has thousands of good copies to go.)

Yes it IS getting tougher though. Guess that makes me a bit of a relic as I refuse to back up myself. The newest automobile I own is 21 years old, the oldest 55. And I do ALL the service/repair work myself, to hell with all the new crap they're trying to push on us. Most all of my still camera gear is considered antique, though much of it has rare Zeiss optics and does better work than any of todays cameras.(Heck my mopic gear's all vintage Arri most over 40 years of age.) Much of my hifi system is older than most posting in the NG yet has better specs than 95% of todays offerings. All of my possesions, whether luxury or neccessity, are repaired by none but me.

Rat shack no longer does that. Sadly even when they did most of their offerings were so shoddily designed/made that repairing wasn't worth the trouble.(I remember when they go so low that they didn't even have their stuff manufactured in Japan, more like Hong Kong or Thailand.)

Not so with Sony, actually one of the worst.

I've found that Panasonic is one of the easiest to deal with, at least their industrial division.(Matsushita) followed by JVC.(My wife's JVC television started giving her problems in the first couple of months of the warranty period. She got on site service as part of the deal. When the repair tech came out and replaced the bad component he let me copy his service manual no problem.) Fisher's been a joy to deal with over the years, they've sold me any manual or part I've ever needed for anyof their products.

Reply to
none

i.e monopolize. People are not so stupid as you think or would like them to be.

Reply to
none

special

which

is

service

low

non-ASCs.

their

and

between

consumer

inflated

I've come to like Pioneer, ordered parts from them directly several times, never a hassle.

Reply to
James Sweet

Have you tried going to a service department to take a look at the same manual, or better still a parts catalogue? It will be harder for them to say no in person especially if you, a customer, are only educating yourself.

An exploded view of the machine is often a lot easier to comprehend where everything goes, their functional relationship and to figure out the disassembly/reassembly sequence. I think your intent is really to find out how to clean that photocopier and to do small maintenance fixes. Any more complex repairs that need parts replacements and alignments is probably best left to their servicemen.

Reply to
PaPaPeng