Bit of a con, really ... ?

Correct on both counts.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Sure, but why? It's so easy to do something very similar in PhotoShop.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Well, I was going more deeply than that. The Live View lets you fine-tune the white balance fairly quickly.

If you run through the range of "conventional" color-temperature settings under fluorescent light, * you'll see that it's rare for any of them to closely approach neutrality. Some degree of green/magenta adjustment is needed, and it's quickly set in Live View. (It is on my Canon, anyway.)

The issue that neither of us has discussed is whether what we see in Live View is trustworthy with respect to accurate white balance. You need to display the images on a calibrated monitor and see whether what /looks/ properly white on the camera's LCD actually is.

  • Ordinary fluorescents, not those designed for photographic use, which can be quite good.

For which the WhiBal card is a good choice. Take a photo with it under the same lighting, then "eyedropper" a sample of the card into the image you want to correct.

Google "whibal". The site has a lot of useful information.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

But some people prefer silver-based photography. It took me quite a while to "come over" to digital -- at least for anything "serious". And I still like Polaroid photography, particularly the peel-apart materials.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Obviously that's a matter of personal taste. Neither is right or wrong.