Drifting of drilling bit

Hi,

When drilling holes in PCB, drifting of drilling bit will make the copper pad vanish, do anyone knows how to prevent this to happen?

I know the general method is to use shorter and smaller drilling bit. Does the rotation speed affect the result?

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

Assuming you are etching your own boards, you might find it useful to put a very small hole at the center of all the pads. If you get the size right, it acts just like a center punch on metal and the drill stays in the center of the pad. It also helps to have very, very sharp drill bits and get the drill speed right.

--
James T. White
Reply to

very

pad.

right.

If your using re-sharpened bits, and who isn't? Be very careful to see to it the center of the bit is really the center of rotation. We had this problem and solved it by carefully inspecting the drill bit under a microscope and rotating it in a mandrill to assure they are concentric on the center of rotation. Made a BIG difference.

Also be sure the drill is turning at the recommended RPM and not loading down, they tend to drift if the bit is binding.

Reply to
Clarence

see to it

problem

and

of

Hah-hah-hah! I'd like to see you try to put a drillbit in a monkey's nose!! Silly!

oogle+Search

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

You of course recognized the term from your family tree? Do they all have the same purple nose? BTW: A MANDRILL is NOT a monkey!

The tool I have is clearly labeled MAN-DRILL as a contraction for "Manual Drill holder!" It has a wood handle and a knurled ring used to rotate the bit. Instructions for starting holes using the tool are included in the box it came in. The spell check apparently removed the hyphen!

Normally I would call this tool a Pin Vise, but those have no swivel to turn the bit.

Reply to
Clarence