Best solder free electrical connection

Well, there is a lot of press about obesity in the South. There are lots of big old boys but they can usually pick up a car engine without breaking a sweat.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I might be wrong but I thought Concorde started flying after 1950. Though then again the Septics didn't like the noise, or was it a classic case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?_=3E=3C=28=28=

I've never seen an electric power steering system, and never want to touch anything made by Lucass.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is that the junk the stuck the Marines with? The politics was that it was cheaper to buy a design, because the Marines wouldn't need many.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And it has infect the minds of many Europeans. So much so that they no longer expect quality from anything. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not even the smoke from their motors. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It was a fast plane, but a poor design. They spent wads of money to build and maintain them, then junked the entire fleet. It was noisy and very fuel inefficient. That forced the fares so high that they weren't able to compete with better planes from multiple countries.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OTOH, I have met some nice women from England who got fed up and left their home country. I love their accents, too. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Bad design" is debatable. Supersonic planes are inherently inefficient, and the Concorde (which was actually a British-French design -- hence the name) was expensive from the get-go.

You can't say it wasn't able to compete with other planes, because the Concorde was the only supersonic transport. Even without the fatal accident, the Concorde would have eventually gone out of business, as there just weren't enough rich people or business who needed to zip to Europe and back.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In article , Michael A. Terrell scribeth thus

Not that bad really as it was the first one..

What other supersonic airliners are those then?...

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

In article , William Sommerwerck scribeth thus

The USofA shirley?.

--
Tony Sayer
Reply to

US design never got past the mock-up stage. The bean-counters killed it based on cost-benefits. Simply put, it could never pay for itself and recoup the development money. As the Brits and the French discovered, the bean counters were right. Unlike Concorde, which had much or most of R&D paid for by taxpayers as a national ego thing, the US SST didn't get that much from Uncle Sam. (US Govt had other expensive things going on.) Without signed orders from the airlines, the financing just wasn't there. US doesn't have a 'national airline' like most countries. Most of the R&D seed money US Govt supplies for aircraft work is related to military requirements or to keep industrial base operational. Some of the military research can also be used on civilian side, like how large jet bombers/tranports led to large jet airliners.

Don't forget the knockoff of Concorde USSR put together. That was purely a national ego thing.

--
aem sends...
Reply to

No, Concorde wasn't fuel efficient though neither are Porsche, Ferrari and so on motorcars. Come to think of it, neither are those enormous engined gas guzzling motors most US citizens used to prefer.

Who was to know in the sixties that oil was going to rise to the price it is today?

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?_=3E=3C=28=28=

I've lost track with all of the ups and downs, but aren't oil prices back pretty close to what they were in the 60s when adjusted for inflation? Might even be a little below.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Not in Blighty they're not - no way near.

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?_=3E=3C=28=28=

You gotta share the credit for that one with the frenchies IIRC

Reply to
clare

The guys who wrote 'Limits to Growth' and were totally ignored?

The Natural Philosopher

Correction: Super sonic flight was banned

The SST was cancelled, seeing the writing on the wall. The Concorde wasn't built for economic reasons.

Reply to
krw

Don't read well, do you? The 747 kicked its butt.

Reply to
krw

Well, there you have it. You killed the Concorde yourselves.

Reply to
krw