Best solder free electrical connection

I have to connect this AAA battery holder to a toy. Although I have a small soldering iron, my soldering skills are poor. I can see myself easily melting all the plastic around the contacts before I can get anything to stick to the tabs. (The part of the tabs with the small hole will bend upwards giving some clearence).

My immediate plan is to poke a few strands of wire through the holes in the connection tabs twist and then apply some nail varnish to stop it unwinding. Since its a toy it does not need to be totally foolproof.

If anyone had any ideas that were a bit more sophisticated I would be gratefull. Thanks.

Reply to
john hamilton
55 years ago, I was afraid of soldering, afraid I wouldn't be able to do it well. I was wrong. It's not that difficult; it just takes a bit of practice.

If you're really uncomfortable, ask a friend to do it for you.

Unsoldered connections might work for a while, but will eventually fail.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'm surprised nobody mentioned cleaning up the battery tab first, some of that cheap gear is terribly difficult to tin, without a good scratching up and cleaning first. Emery paper, sand paper, even a sharp instrument. And wash the grease off too, metho or IPA should be safe for the plastic?

The trick is to go in quick, if it doesn't work straight away (like less than a second), remove the heat, let the thing cool right down, and try again later.

Problems happen when you keep the heat on to no effect, melting the surrounds.

Be aware of the need for the fresh heat bridge, created by applying iron and solder together, so the flux is working. It's perfectly fine to have several attempts, provided you let the parts cool right down between the attempts.

And yes, practice makes perfect, so try some other soldering to get a feel for how the solder, flux and iron behave together. :)

Try soldering (stripped) insulated wire together until you can make clean solder joints without burning the insulation, basic thermal feel and control. Don't be afraid to waste solder, learn to coax excess solder off a joint by application of the iron and new solder.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I used to use the Weller, but disliked that little jump when the magnet pulled in (or let go). Also iron based leads (like on signal diodes) could be troublesome :( The new Hakko I have now is great.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I was thinking to enlarge the holes in the tabs, and use pop rivets. Sadly, the battery holder pictured won't take .250 push on connectors, I don't think. The metal is chromed, so solder won't stick very well, it's also likely steel. There is no really good way to make the connection.

Wire through the hole, twist the wire, and solder the wire to itself is about the best answer I can find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I would be most surprised if they were chromed. Most likely a thin nickel plate to prevent oxidation. Solder will work fine. That's why they put the hole for a wire.

Solder it.

tm

tm

Let me quote from the instructions of the hot air / soldering station I just purchased

"Temperature of the soldering tip

High temperature will decrease the function of the soldering tip. So the temperature should be set to the lowest. This soldering tip has good quality for recovery and can solder at low temperature. This can protect the component sensitive with temperature

Cleaning

The tip should be cleaned with sponge periodically. After soldering the oxidised and carbonated superabundant soldering material will damage the tip. Deviation of soldering and deduction of function of the soldering tip will occur. The soldering tip must be dismantled for cleaning every week so the soldering tip can keep the function

After welding,clean the superabundant soldering material"

so now you know ...

--
geoff
Reply to

No - just file or otherwise (emery cloth) remove the plating back down to the base copper underneath just before soldering

Simples

FFS - it's a cheap plastic moulding with tags on it

you lot are turning this into a major project

--
geoff
Reply to

I claim only four decades ;) You be there before flux cored solder?

Wonder when that came out?

I remember my father wanted to replace the needle and cartridge in the record player (over 40 years ago, one of old things that stacked several LPs). So he bought the new cartridge, a roll of rosin cored solder and a small solid copper iron one heated on the gas stove...

Worked too! He used to be a TV serviceman, up until the splat off a picture tube threw him across a room, a career changing moment.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I would like some superabundant soldering material, please.

--
David TAylor
Reply to

David Taylor wrote in news:slrni6lvng.r7s.davidt- snipped-for-privacy@outcold.yadt.co.uk:

you're FEEDING THE TROLL. stop that.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

But those cheapie battery holders are difficult to solder, the plating doesn't 'wet' easily. So cleaning it up first with emery paper, or scratching it up is necessary so it will easily 'wet' and the solder job work first time. Experience people know this, but beginners have yet to learn which metals and surface conditions are easy to solder, and which require more effort.

Sure, task at hand is easy, but promoting the larger picture might help newbie get far more enjoyment from electronics, because they learn some basic skills. Soldering is one of those basic skills.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Technical Chinglish at it's best.

Reply to
clare

Some are plated to make them look good, but then require an acid flux. A small (4") 'Mill Bastard' file is handy to expose the base metal. Pre tin the wire first, then wrap a turn around the terminal. This will reduce the soldering time, and give you a better joint.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

File off the chrome.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Excuse me, but is the OP a Septic or English ?

If he/she/it is English, it's bugger all use pointing them at Septic outlets, is it?

--
geoff
Reply to

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are writing about. Could you find someone to translate it into American?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm English and I haven't a clue what they are on about either. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cockney rhyming slang - septic tank = yank.

Reply to
clare

Howdy cousin! 8-)

TDD