Bakelite Asbestos

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind? WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite without asbestos? ANy clues?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

** Ever heard of Google and Wiki ?

** Not likely from you.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Damn, took the words out of my mouth...

Reply to
PeterD

Unless you are grinding the Bakelite product into a powder and snorting it I'd not worry about it...

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Only worry if it's fluffy bakelite.

Reply to
LSMFT

It's your chance to get rich quick. For example:

Claim that you're suffering from cancer of the vocabulary, induced by your proximity to asbestos infested bakelite electrical hardware, and collect a small fortune. With asbestos claims, you don't even have to prove medical damage, just exposure, as juries tend to assume that there will eventually be health effects. Second hand exposure is also actionable so be sure to get the relatives involved.

Incidentally, a few years ago, I sold a rental house with exterior asbestos wallboard on the outside of the house. Prior to the sale, I was incorrectly informed that I would need to contract with a hazardous materials removal company that specialized in asbestos removal and disposal. The initial low estimate was $35,000. Ouch.

The buyer was a general contractor and apparently knew more about the asbestos situation than local planning department. He indicated that it was better to leave things in place, and seal it under a layer of exterior paneling, than to remove the asbestos, which would certainly produce considerable dangerous dust.

If you're worried about asbestos, just replace the electrical outlets, or make sure you don't grind or break them.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Google *IS* the problem, don't trust it. Look online and all you see is trial lawyers saying all bakelite has asbestos. It doesn't. Bakelite can be made into a composite by mixing it with glass, slate or asbestos.