Original Royer paper

Hi

I am looking for the original paper from 1954 that George Royer did on his Royer converter circuit:

"Transistors as on-off switches in saturable-core circuits" in Electrical Manufactoring

Anyone know where I can get this?

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

1954? There weren't a lot of transistors around in 1954... only Geranium junk, surface-barrier and point contact ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Royer used the Westinghouse 2N74, apparently.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Trying to remember... one of those pinch-seal TO-5's? I used to have an ancient GE manual, but the silverfish ate it :-( ...Jim Thompson

In 1951-1952, at North American, we built an entire solid-state airborne radar. Only the magnetron was a vacuum tube, and it was pulsed by a magnetic core pulse generator, on which I have a patent. The display did use a standard CRT.

Most of the transistors were from Texas Instruments and were used in low power RF and video circuits.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

It's listed in the 1958 GE manual I have.

Martin Riddle

It's before my time, Jim. I don't have anything listed that has fewer than 3 digits after the '2N'.

Here's a photo of one:

and the pinout:

PNP 200mW 50V AF SW, probably alloy type (point contact types were only 50mW). 2N76 -79 types had hfe of 20-55 and ft of around 1MHz.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Jim Williams did. From his AN-55

Bright, Pittman and Royer, =93Transistors as On-Off Switches in Saturable Core Circuits,=94 Electrical Manufacturing, December 1954. Available from Technomic Publishing, Lancaster, PA.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

My! My! I never saw one of those. (But I was only 14 at the time ;-)

My first transistors were CK722 and CK760 in 1956, when my father became a Raytheon wholesaler.

...Jim Thompson

Bill, didn't you (or someone else) have a copy of this paper? I think someone sent me a pdf via email (upon request). I can't seem to 'unearth' it at the moment... about time to do a desk cleaning/ filing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks. I was hoping for a link on the internet, getting this from the overseas source is through my local library and may end up to be a hurdle :-)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

The original Baxandall paper on sine-wave transistor inverters is on my web-site

but it was published five years later than the Royer paper, which concerns itself with square-wave inverters, and didn't much impress me when I read it, back in 1970.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

If you are signed up with the local university library or know someone who is, they can often get you a copy much faster than a city library. Some of the really old stuff is only on microfiche but the copy fees are usually modest.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

on

Thanks, That's was I was thinking about.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold