Are all IR emitter heads transparent to IR light?

Are all IR emitter heads transparent to IR light from a separate remote control.

The one I bought has a translucent red plastic head but doesn't say it is, but another one does say so. Is the second one just better at marketing?

Online I bought a 3-headed IR emitter, like is used when the AV equipment is kept in a cabinet, and I was very happy.

Then I looked at another one and it said " They're made of material that's transparent to IR light, so commands can still pass directly to individual components if desired."

Details. This is a PREMIUM IR Extender Hidden Infrared Repeater System Kit and its description includes: "The 4 emitters included can control many different A/V devices. They're made of material that's transparent to IR light, so commands can still pass directly to individual components if desired. You may stick the emitter over the IR emitter on each component, or place on the shelf in front of the component if you prefer - they're powerful enough to get the signal to the component."

But when you click on the emitter, which is sold separately also, it says none of this!

I hope they are all IR-transparent like this one, especially the one I bought an hour ago. To work with the Leapfrom or whatever I end up with.

Reply to
mm

I have a repeater system that uses one of those donut shaped things. It has a hole in the center to allow outside IR through it, and the pumped in IR signal is offset from the centre hole to allow outside IR in, but close enough to emit IR into the device the donut is attached to.

The one you are using seem to have the usual opaque red plastic that is common in IR remotes, so I suspect they will indeed pass IR with no problem.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

Great. I too think it's just better advertising to put this in ad, but it was ironic (is that the right word?) to see the better ad within an hour after buying the other one.

Also, just a few minutes after my OP here, it occurred to me, and I felt like an idiot for posting, that the plastic *must* let IR pass, because it has to let the IR from its own light pass. It's only 1/4 to 1/3 the distance, but still.

And then installing it, it had a 3.5mm plug and Leapfrog 5 has a 2.5mm jack, so I looked in my container of adapters and by golly I had just what I need. But when I held the red thing in front of the DVDR, it didn't work. After moving it around, trying the other two heads, etc. I was stuck until I thought to measure the resistance of the thing. It was near 0. When I unplugged the adapter, its resistance was infinite, but the resistance of the emitter was moderately high. It was ONLY when I plugged the emitter into the adapter that there was a short, in the adapter. Which is metal and won't come apart without a saw, afaict. I think I paid retail for this. I wonder how many others they made that drove people crazy.

So today I found I had a 2.5 plug with some wire on it, and an in-line

3.5 jack, and now its working.

It works in a lot of locations. I have to find the DVDR manual to be sure of the best place to stick it.

And then the question is, what will the range of the Leapfrog be? If it's not enough, I'll get the Powermid pyramid that William likes, and I'll still need the emitter I worked on today.

Thanks a lot, Tim, and everyone from the previous thread.

Reply to
mm