Anyway to remove crt scratches?

For free service manual downloads & more:

Sidney Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

Reply to
sidneybek

Google groups search for your answer. Has been asked lots of times here.

In short, no.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Depends on the severity of the scratch. If it's a gouge in the glass, as dkuhajda says - no, short of filling the scratch with a clear filler (like eyeglass scratch filler.) If there is an anti-glare coating on the glass, anything you do to it is going to remove the coating for sure. If they're just tiny hairline-type scratches, you might try jewler's rouge or Brasso at your own risk. Won't hurt to try if you're going to junk it due to the scratches anyway. I've made minor scratches in glass/plastic acceptable with Brasso in the past.

Reply to
Kevin S.

Reply to
simon hanlon

But again, if it's AR coated, any abrasive will make a small scratch into an unsightly blemish.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

If it is AR coated with the glue on film, as many are, then: The picture tube can be removed from the cabinet. The antistatic/antireflective plastic film can be carefully peeled off the face of the glass. The residual glue can be cleaned off, usually with alcohol or wd40 on a rag. Then reassemble and use.

The Dell 17" Trinitron flat screen that I am using right now was 'repaired' in that manner. The down side is there is a quicker build up of dust on the glass screen due to the extra static charge on the face. The plus side is that the brightness and contrast can be turned down as the image is brighter. The other down side is that it is best to use it without much room lighting (which I don't).

Reply to
dkuhajda