Photocopier - paper scratches on the OPC

ie the normal paper or dust slight scratches , not down to the metal drum from loose screw or swarf. All quite normal for any OPC. Usually this is ok but the original toner for this m/c not available, requiring second 1 only source, supposed compatible, formulation. Very fine scratches seem to hold the toner , ie exposed bits of latent image retain the toner in the scratches and so deposit as fine lines on the paper. If too much toner passed to the OPC then more and more lines appear, so only possible to produce grey rather than black output. The ac cleaning voltage is now at maximum of 2.5 KV but some lines are still present with a grey image rather than black. Anyone happen to know what needs adding to the toner to make it less sticky or whatever ? or some other procedure. I'm assuming the narrow scratches are physically holding the toner but thats only guessing really, decreasing the transfer voltage of course produces a lighter image and still transfers the lines, so not an option. Physically cleaning the OPC or leaving the background heater on all the time makes no difference. I'm wondering if the toner is too oily and decanting to a tumbler with blotting paper lining would remove some of the oiliness, before returning to the hopper. Anyone know of a test for oiliness that gives some sort of numerical result ?

Incidently anyone know what the marking B stands for, on the preset for adjusting the 200 to 250V dc voltage of the OPC relative to frame and what this voltage is called ? The other presets are marked TR for transfer and AC for the ac cleaning voltage

Reply to
N_Cook

ok

rather

sticky

are

the

the

time

AC

I should have said the voltage on the centre of the revolving magnet developer drum , not to the OPC, the retraction voltage ? The votage that means the toner powder on the OPC that has become discharged from the exposure light is pulled off, back to the toner supply side, leaving the latent image. These fine line toner deposits are adhering more than the 250V "retraction voltage ?" will pull off but will pull off with the 7.3KV transfer voltage to the paper.

Anyone know of a source of plain carbon black, fine ground, without silicone oil/surfactants added , to dilute the supposed proper toner.

Reply to
N_Cook

In that are is what looked like an afterthougt 1W resistor to ground, marked brown black brown. Surely not if a few hundred volts there. With a good light brought into the area I could then see it is brown black purple. Just an ordinary looking MO resistor, enamelled ,no glass encapsulation, but

1 Gigohm.
Reply to
N_Cook

purple.

but

Wouldn't that be 100M? (10 x 10^7)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:h0tplb$8p2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

yes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm not used to seing that colour combination. Measured about 1000Meg, by comparison with a glass cased 1Gohm , with a high voltage source, it is grey not purple on the third band on rechecking.

Reply to
N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:h0tvap$s24$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I'm surprised it would stay 1G for any length of time,with an enamel coating.

maybe you could post a pic of it.I wonder who makes them?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Its just a light blue bodied resistor that looks like any other except for an unusual colour code. It must be there to discharge any accumulated charge inside the developer chamber. A resistor with a crimp eye terminal at either end, looking a bit afterthoughtish. Whether it is 500M or 2000Meg probably does not matter. I imagine it could be difficult to make a high resistivity spiral of metal oxide, from my own attempts at making resistive compound for

1 meg pot tracks, very patchy resistivity

As for main thread I got into the generator circuit and temporarily upped the retract ? voltage up to 350V , for a test. Black lines still there and I think the image intensty was reduced as well, ie wanted charged, latent image bits, partially retracted back to the developer, so no solution there.

Apparently, from an industrial chemist, it is possible to get fine ground pure carbon black from chemical supply companies for some sort of filters , not activated charcoal. All laser and copier toner these days have silicone oil added , perhaps to avoid the use of silicone oil bath/wicks at the output fuser stage. Enough oil carries through to the output to keep the paper from sticking to the supposed non-stick finish of the fuser roller or its pressure roller.

N_Cook

It's perfectly normal for the OPC to have mild scratches on it. As long as it's not down to the metal. (Which will give you white lines along the print.)

That's more likely to be due to dirt on the laser window. Give it a wipe & a blow. A stray hair stuck in there, or in the laser window of the cartridge will give you a line down the page.

There's nothing 'sticky' about the toner. It adheres to the drum from electrostatic attraction only. If it's sticking to the drum when it shouldn't be, there's something wrong with the HV, or the IR laser or cleaning light is not wiping the charge from the drum as it should.

Dry toner is *never* 'oily'. It's micron-sized particles.

'B' = Bias.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

*NO!* That is NOT correct! Laser/copier toner is totally dry. The silicon oil is applied to the fuser roller by a wiper pad, & serves to prevent the 'cooked' toner on the paper from sticking to the fuser roller as it exits the fuser assembly.
   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

drum

only

hold

rather

sticky

are

the

the

time

decanting to

what

and AC

This is a conventional copier, not scanner/laser. Silicone oil wick/baths at the output have not been used on photocopiers since the days of sliding top ones, relying on silicones added (sub 1 percent) to the toner instead, not enough to appear oily to the touch but enough to make sure paper does not stick to fuser drum or silicone rubber pressure roller. The first one I came across to fix, was wet process toner in paraffin carrier, 1970s vintage, paper on a roll and a vicious guillotine.

The toner these days is mainly carbon/charcoal black but also such as styrene ,styrene acrylic copolymer, polypropylene,metal complex dyes, methylmethacrylate,styrene butylarylate, silicones and oleic acid

Reply to
N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:h0vmaf$icn$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

toner is a wax compound.waxes are also lubricants.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

On 6/13/2009 5:42 AM Jim Yanik spake thus:

That's not my understanding: from what I've read, toner is basically a mixture of pigment (carbon black or equivalent) and plastic (styrene) that melts onto the printed substrate (paper).

Maybe you're thinking of phase-change/sublimation printing (e.g., Xerox/Tektronix Phaser), which does use wax as the carrier.

David Nebenzahl

I would agree with that summary but add that there are surfactants added to assist in even distribution of the toner over the OPC, otherwise the coarse distribution of the iron filings transfer process would be rather patchy.

Reply to
N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:h116cm$nn1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Heh.I worked for TEK for 21.5 years. their thermal wax process is a sort of wax-jet deposition thru a printhead. I've had pretty good looks at TEK's printer mechanics.

just feel the toner that's fused onto the paper;it feels waxy. Googling showed several references to wax for copier toner.

Isn't it done by electrostatics?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Correct.

That'd be my guess too.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

printhead.

The rotating magnets + iron filings bring the toner close to the OPC and then the electrostatic voltage on the OPC, set up by the corona wire, pulls the toner across the gap. Then there should be an even charge distribution, but although very fine ground, it is finite size and the surfactants can help to allow easier flow. This maybe the key to the problem . What is the charge distribution over a semiconductor surface that instead of being perfectly smooth, has very fine scratches around it ? Maybe it is possible to reduce the corona voltage. Previously mistyped as 7.3KV, actually 8.3KV, I've not looked into that area, separate HV board somewhere, just measured the voltage at the corona housing .

Reply to
N_Cook

I found the neat little Murata corona generator, marked 4.55KV, 0.3mA . I don't know what the o/p voltage should be Corona measured as 8.7KV so something not right there, plenty of room to drop the corona voltage. Not got to the point of monitoring the lines to it yet nor tried the preset yet, lines to it are 2 grounds, supply, control, and one marked REM , any ideas what that one means ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Modern laser printers & copiers use monocomponent toner, which has the magnetic material in each toner particle. You're thinking of older systems, which used a separate magnetic 'developer' powder to carry the toner to the drum.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

On 6/14/2009 7:49 PM Bob Larter spake thus:

Reminds me of the old Kodak* copier I had when I owned a print shop; the previous owner had bought it for something ridiculous like less than $1000. The thing was a behemoth, and required lots of maintenance, but when it was running it would whip out good copies all day long and not even breathe hard.

I remember having to replace various parts of the "developer" system in it. Very old school.

  • Actually Kodak/Heidelberg, during their short partnership in imaging systems.
David Nebenzahl