Akai projection update

Hi,

I'm the one who posted a few weeks back about my projection TV going out. Well, the drama continues. I finally received the back ordered part only to have it not work. Called the service company and explained the situation. They said tech will call back. Still waiting. They also said tech might come out to see what's going on with it. Either I received a defective part or I received a defective diagnosis. Either way, I don't even want to talk about my so far out of pocket.

By the way, if anyone is interested in what happened with the TV after replacing the part, I will gladly share.

Reply to
Chris

More than likely you received an incorrect diagnosis especially if it was done over the phone. And unless you repair the same devices over and over again becoming able to do so in your sleep, it's not uncommon to misdiagnose ailments with a print in one hand and a voltmeter in the other.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Actually, the service technician made a service call and physically diagnosed the problem. I also paid for it. I was a bit apprehensive when he used no tools. He claimed that just by the symptoms coupled with his experience, he knew the cause. Being in the troubleshooting business myself though, I figured he was correct since I can also diagnose by symptom/experience only.

Anyway, I think it's better to have him check it out before condemning a prefectly good part. Otherwise, that would be unfair to the supplier.

Reply to
Chris

I've done this myself many times. Be so certain you've nailed the problem only to find out it was something else. I did a lot of manufacturer and extended warranties on major VCR brand. One Gold Star brand/model received for service almost 99.999999% had a failed mode switch. I repaired hundreds of them, could almost do them in my sleep. I got pretty greedy being paid a small salary plus a certain amount depending on the piece that I started to skip an actually test before boxing them up because I could repair a couple more a day. After all I'd never seen any other problems with this particular brand/model. That was until 5 of them came back one day with a different failure responsible for symptoms similar to a mode switch. Moral to the story, everyone can and will make plenty of mistakes no matter the experience. I try hard to not allow my mistakes to cause collateral damage which is another subject.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Is the symptom the same, or has it now changed?

Reply to
John-Del

It has changed. When I initially turned on the TV (right after replacing the board), I got the "no signal" blue screen. No problem since I didn't have the cable hooked up yet. It also made that familiar doddle doo sound when I turned it on. In other words, all was normal. But within a very short time, perhaps 30 seconds or so, the screen went blank. I turned off the TV, then turned it back on. This time, no screen, no startup tune, and the red led in front was blinking. Also, the deflection board was making an intermittent humming sound, and I noticed the heat sinks warming up rather quickly.

I finally got the truth from the service company who have been playing a game with me. They just kept blowing me off figuring I would simply disappear. I informed them that I would replace the part, and if it still does not work, they would be hearing from me. The guy on the phone told me that my $80 got me a "guess". Can you imagine THAT? $80, and all I get is a guess? I don't think so. I paid for a diagnosis; in other words, the solution to the problem. If all I'm getting is a guess, I could of had one of my buddies come over and do it for FREE. I never heard of such a thing. He proceeded to compare their business with the medical field saying that doctors only guess. Well "guess" what, when a doctor misdiagnoses, they get sued for malpractice.

I think I will cut my losses early. The good news is the supplier said I could return the part for a refund. If I successfully do so, I will chalk this one up to a learning experience and simply purchase a new TV.

[I tried responding several days ago, but was having internet problems.]
Reply to
Chris

My suspicion about the guess diagnosis seemed to be correct.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I just got done taking out the new board and reinstalling the original. I can again turn on the TV, change channels, and get perfect audio. Seems everything works except the screen is blank. Same symptoms before I took it out. This tells me that there is a defect in the replacement board; otherwise, shouldn't I at least get audio, steady on light, and start up tune etc. just like I do with the original board? I also noticed that the heatsink around the flyback transformer (original board) is totally cold (after having set on for a while), as well as some of the other heat sinks. Frustrating since the board sets me back only about $170 total; and well worth it if I can get the picture back on. As it stands, I'm pretty sure they will give me a refund, and I can be done with it. But if the problem truly is that I got a defective board, I'll never know without trying another. However, if it is NOT the board, I'm not so sure they will allow me to return a second one for refund. I'm now wondering if some other component could be damaging the boards. But then again, the original is allowing sound etc. where the new one doesn't. Strange! Any input will be helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Chris

Haven't responded to this post yet. The only thing I have to say is I shipped back the board yesterday. I will report on the outcome.

Reply to
Chris