Roland DB 500 bass amp , 1999

Is there any redeeming feature about working on this amp? I don't suppose removing the front would reveal removeable connections on the speakers. So you have to remove a choke, ferrite filter, numerous earth straps etc to be able even half get at the main board. Then desolder the 4 speaker wires i see a choc block going in there). But its the stink of horse manure inside that is most annoying. What do they make transformer lacquer from in the USA? . This is the third such box , and all USA made, take the covers of and the room smells of manure. Not the fresh stuff but the rotted form , caproic acid coming off it according to my chemist friend, or maybe butyric acid. other littoral stinkers were Fender Pro 185, 1989 JBL SA660 (James B Lansing ), domestic amp 1969

Reply to
N_Cook

maybe (precursor to?) this form of varnish

This invention relates to polymeric insulation compositions which are crosslinked to produce heat resistant and flame resistant products useful for coating wire and cable products. More particularly, the invention relates to crosslinkable flame retardant ethylene-vinyl ester and ethylenealkyl acrylate copolymer insulation compositions which do not tarnish the surface of copper conductors upon curing. / THE PROCESSING ADDITIVE While any known processing agent can be employed, fatty acids or fatty acid derivatives, polymeric processing resins and hydrocarbon oils, or combinations thereof, are most generally used. The fatty acid derivatives can include metal soaps, esters, ester-soaps, amides, and the like. The term fatty acid as employed herein, refers to aliphatic carboxylic acids having from 8 to 22 carbon atoms. While these acids are usually derived from natural sources, they can also be synthetically produced. The fatty acids can be branched or straight-chain, saturated or unsaturated and they may consist of a single acid, or as is more commonly the case, a mixture of acids within the specified carbon content range. Illustrative fatty acids include caproic acid, caprylic acid, capric acid, lauric acid, myristic acid, myristoleic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid, stearic acid, isostearic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, eleostearic acid, behenic acid, erucic acid and the like. Useful fatty acid mixtures are obtained from triglycerides present in natural fats and oils including coconut oil, cottonseed oil, linseed oil, palm oil, soy oil, tall oil, safflower oil, corn oil, rapeseed oil, tallow or the like.

Reply to
N_Cook

Made in USA? Since when?

Reply to
Meat Plow

wires

in

of

butyric

Alright assembled in USA, otherwise Taiwan . CHIA YU is probably the make on this one and the choke as well

Reply to
N_Cook

On 2/13/2010 8:54 AM N_Cook spake thus:

Well, there you go: good old Chinese horseshit, the traditional insulation material used there.

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Reply to
Meat Plow

This time yes but I doubt a JBL SA660 (James B Lansing ) 1969 amp would have had a Chinese transformer inside. Is it a specification thing? I don't know how many hundreds of amps made in or made for UK I've poked around inside of, but none with the smell of rotted horse manure (not as unpleasant as fresh manure smell BTW). So probability-wise looks either a USA thing or UK air polution or 240V operation combining with exotic materials

Reply to
N_Cook

I should say it is not just me, this one and the JBL previously confirmed my smell diagnosis, by 2 seoparate people other than myself. The JBL really stunk out the room , not just while it was around but for some days afterwards. I can find no www reference to USA based repairers ever noticing this agriultural smell, making it all very odd. Do they use another word for horse manure over there?

Reply to
N_Cook

I've never smelled bullshit in an amp or cabinet but I smell a lot here in SER.

Reply to
Meat Plow