AB Landola semi-acoustic guitar electrics ,c 1960s

Firstly a more suitable and appropriately active usenet forum for guitar pickup rewinding etc ? I worked out how to remove the electrics through the fretwork, all sorts of minor problems in the wiring etc but main one is no signal from one of the pickups. One pickup measures 7.7K and the other megohms. I assume no capacitor inside that one . Maybe just a break in the rather corroded and aged-looking screened wire but the other end is inside the pickup brasswork. Before plumbing type desoldering the casing closure of the pickup, I could do with some advice, as a novice at this .

Reply to
N_Cook

of

the

Another odd query - a wood screw through the wood of the sound box into nothing. Under the plate that holds 2 of the pots was a few turns of wire. Would the 2 have been connected via some now missing thick grounding foil stuck on the inside of the wood, then that wood screw, screwed into some now absent block to sandwich the foil?

There is some useful dating info on

but to get it tighter the pots are 4 off 250K marked Prem (looks like) and a 4, along with the 250K stamped into the monkey metal is the number 437. Unfortunately 4 off the same pots so don't know if a type number or week 37 of 1964 . This one has serial number in the 109 thousands. caps are marked ERD FOL and 2 vertical lines like mark 2

Reply to
N_Cook

the

now

and

37

well it is semi-acoustic so added musicmakers, if anyone could advise on the technicalities of pickup repair

I trod carefully and ground through the solder on the rear of the pickup with a Dremmel. Just as well as the magnets are directly over the brass.

Chromed cover plate removed. The output screened lead goes into the tissue paper, lower left

looks as though no varnish /laquer and and just wrapped in tissue paper but light hooking under does not shift the coil. Would it be glued underneath , unseen? Surely it would not be loosely laid in there with just compressed tissue paper holding it in place. Very thin bakelite (the pinkish colour trough) so must be incredibly fragile 45 years on.

Reply to
N_Cook

Pickups should measure anywhere from 5 - 15k dc resistance depending on being a single coil, humbucker, high output.

Next question?

Reply to
Meat Plow

of

the

the

The paper and coil was lightly laquered in, not as obvious as magneto coil. With child's toy wooden clothes peg, one wedge of, and small pectrum managed to ease out the coil with only minor collateral damage to the wire and no damage to the bakelite (will have to chemically clean oput the glued in paper). Taken dimensions and weight to 10mg so should be able to rewind another. Should be able to heat up and unwind on counter for the turns also. Looks like bad assembly, in that in the process of wrapping the tissue paper strip around the coil , the lay had been seriously disturbed and then probably vibration/thermal changes/chaffing enough to make a break somewhere. From the owner the odd woodscrew is for a now missing finger/scratch plate.

Reply to
N_Cook

of

the

the

This is a 12 string version

of the same guitar, the one I have here is a 6 string, deep cherry colour version and tremolo arm. Exactly the same fretwork , so quite a chinese puzzle removing the 2 off paired up pots and brasswork out through the slot. The same "crackalure" evident on the top face of the body in that pic

Reply to
N_Cook

Looks like a Gibson E335 or Hag Viking clone. Reading your other post and description of the pickup build it seems standard for that type some refer to a Toaster pickup although the true toaster would be slotted completely across giving it it's toaster-like appearance.

The lacquer cracking isn't that unique for the era. Good luck winding the pickup not that luck is mandated here. What's the serial number? I'd like to know about when it was made. Probably 70's.

Reply to
Meat Plow

guitar

sorts

rather

the

of

After 1961, before 1973, the serial number 109,000s could put it in 1964 , according to "437" on the pots and roughly mid 60s via the hagstrom dating file.

Any idea of the pickup make? No name/numbers found on /in them, Landola own ?, the ones here look identical to the ones on that 12 string version, offset slots, chrome cover, black bakelate base, screw positions etc.

Reply to
N_Cook

Landola started to use a 5-XXXXXX serial in the 70's. If it started with 5 it was built in 1975.

Good question. One thast I don't have a specific answer for. Yes they could have been made by Landola as they were making enough guitars to make their own. Could have been made by Hag, FranzPix, Schaller, Shadow, Hofner or a host of others. I've seen that style but couldn't pin a manu on it if my life depended on it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

serial number is in the range 109,000 to 110,000

The owner reckons Ibanez pickups but google-imaging shows nothing like the ones here.

Reply to
N_Cook

Well my reference doesn't show much for that except a pre 1970.

I doubt it. Ibanez didn't even have their own factory until the late

60s early 70s.

I'll come across it some day. For now, the oddest guitar I own carries the brand name Horugel :)

Dig those crazy sliding interactive pickup switches.

I need a pickup for it but the rest of the hardware is boxed. Maybe one day I'll find the motivation to make it playable. Right now I'm restoring a 1963 Gibson double cutaway Melody Maker. It's been routed for a neck pickup and switch originally having just one P90 at the bridge. I acquired this several years back from a former band member who is now deceased. Still lots of work to be done before it's ready for a new Tobacco Yellow sunburst finish.

Reply to
Meat Plow