a warning about downloading files

On the page for downloading the HP PL-series plasma display service manuals, you'll a number of download options. Be careful.

Some of these involve first installing an application that supposedly simplifies or speeds up the download process. These are hardly ever needed, and are present simply to give some seller or software publisher access to your computer. They are present even on major, reliable download sites.

Several months ago I got angry with a programmer whose application could be downloaded only by using one of these intrusive utilities. When he got back to me, he said he wasn't aware of this, and didn't approve. Fortunately, there were other buttons on the page that performed a direct download.

Look closely before you click. "Your Manual is Ready For Download. Download it Here. 100% Free." (or similar) is a "Do Not Touch" warning.

"'We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

TANSTAAFL!

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Thanks for the tip William. i had suspected something like that. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper