DMM

Hi Group, any recommendations for a good DMM, preferably a Fluke. under a $100.. are the ones made in China reliable.??? what kind do you use.???

Re: DMM
Does Fluke make any that sell below $100 ?

Re: DMM

Used, perhaps.

And it would depend on the use and the need. My fluke, purchased new over 2
0 years ago, meets my needs nicely. But it is strictly for hobby purposes,
and the occasional bit of troubleshooting around the house and various appl
iances and such. However, I very much appreciate that it is an accurate and
 reliable device, and made in the USA.

If one wishes to purchase a used DMM of any nature, please be sure that you
 are able to kick the tires prior to purchase. The better the scope, the mo
re than might be wrong with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: DMM
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
the USA.

Fluke sells a few meters for under $ 100.  I am not sure of the quality
or how accurate they are.  When buying a meter you need to know what
features and how accurate you want them to be.  If I don't care about
much accuracery , I often just grab my old Simpson 260 analog meter.

I have 2 of the Fluke 87 meters that cost several hundred each.  I also
have a few of the 'free' Harbor Freight meters that are in various
places around the house.  They are good enough for some testing.

There does seem to be a few meters around that are good enough for the
hobbist and home owner.

Re: DMM

They sell a few low-end models such as 12E, 17B, which I think are
intended for sale only in China, but of course they turn up here in the

<https://ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluke/274104889982

Personally I went for a Brymen 789.

Joe Smith on youtube does some pretty stressful tests on multimeters

<

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg/videos

Re: DMM

uality

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg/videos

He has a great meter test box, nice work!

John :-#)#

Re: DMM

CAT III Measurement category minimum, with a decent set of leads. A
manufacturer that will stand behind their safety certification as well
as calibration.

Country of manufacture doesn't matter.

Ye want something that is not going to vaporise in a deadly fireball
when placed across mains.

I have a few cheap DMM meters, of worth less than $10. They go nowhere
near 240V.

--
Adrian C

Re: DMM
says...

I agree.  I have several of the 'free' HF meters.  They are fine for
what they are.  I don't put them across anything above 50 volts that is
capable of supplying more than an amp.

For serious work I have a couple of the Fluke 87  meters and the good
old trusty Simpson 260 and Amprobe analog meters.

Re: DMM
Personally I like the free DMM give away with purchase at Harbor
Freight.  Plenty of features including a transistor tester built in and
accurate enough.   Unfortunately they have stopped the free stuff.
The only problems with the HF DMM is that the internal 9V battery
requires a screw driver to open the case and replace the battery.  So I
have to buy a screw driver at HF.  LOL

P.S. I had a Fluke DMM and it totally died.  And not that old either.
Very disappointing.

Re: DMM

You should have gotten the 'free' screwdriver set.  I have several of
them.

It all depends on what one wants to do with the meters.  For low voltage
testing that does not need to be too accurate the HF meters are ok. The
ones I have are within 5 % or less than the Fluke meters I have .  I
just don't like to put them on any thing over about 50 volts where there
is plenty of current avaliable like the house wiring.  I have a couple
of good Fluke meters for that.

There seems to be plenty of DMMs out for less than $ 100.  See if you
can find one that is CAT rated.  That is meters certified to be safe is
you have them set for ohms or amps and put them across a voltage source.
The meter may never work again,but an internal fuse will blow and make
it safe .  Some of the cheap meters may not do this but arc over
internally and the leads melt in your hands and may put you across the
voltage.  Seeing some of the Fluke safety videos will make you think
about that.

I have a Fluke t100 that is made as an electricians test meter.  I have
put it across some 240 volt circuits while set on ohms and no effect to
the meter.  Did that at work a lot  on purpose for some tests.

Re: DMM
 Ralph Mowery wrote:
=================

** That is not unusual, it is easy to protect the ohms ranges of a DMM from voltages up to 240VAC.
    Along with being ( almost) drop proof, it is one of the great benefits of DMMs compared with analogue types.

The main safety features of a good multimeter are that the 4mm plugs are self shrounding and the battery compartment needs a tool to access.  Goes a long at toward preventing accidental contact with dangerous voltages.

Meters with unfused *high current* ranges are a hazard around car batteries and the like, as the leads can smoke, burn or even explode.
Not likely at all with mains power as gross overload trips breakers *instantly*.

....   Phil

Re: DMM
Don't get me started on Harbor Freight....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: DMM

*resisting* *temptation* *of* *getting* *Peter* *started* *on* *Harbor* *Freight* ....

Re: DMM

"resistance is futile"

('42' and all that)

John ;-#)#