94 Trans Am CD skips easily

I have a 94 TA with 25K mi, never smoked in, with the original factory CD radio with the 7 band EQ. Being a 25th anniversary special edition, I want to keep it all original. The radio and CD both play fine, except that the CD skips whenever I hit a bump. I pulled the radio, pulled the CD module out of it, and took it apart. I cleaned the lens and inspected the mechanicals. Everything looks fine. I noticed when the control card was out that there are no electrical adjustments on it at all. There is one small pot on the sled (laser power?). Any ideas on what would make it skip so easily?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Could be simply that it was a POS. Hows are the isolation mounts?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I could be possible that your CD player pre-dates modern anti-skip technology. I was never a fan of anything other than GM but the factory radio goes before the new car smell does. The last time I bought a new Chevy truck within a few hours the am/fm radio was out and a new cassette head unit and CD changer with a 1200 watt amp was in.

Then a couple of years later I bought a new sports car and that had an aftermarket CD changer and tape deck in the dash after a few hours.

Just because you want to keep it original doesn't mean you have to put up with shitty audio.

Reply to
Sitre Magana

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:33:31 -0800, Sitre Magana Has Frothed:

Electronic skip protection surfaced around 1992-1993. Probably wasn't deployed in GM units until much later.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

POS?... maybe in terms of long term reliability, but there is no way they could have sold these if they were this bad when new.

The isolation mounts seem OK. Spring and rubber bushing are intact at each suspension point. Could it be that the rubber bushings are hardened from age and ned to be replaced?

We had similar problems in our 97 buick, although not as bad. No problems the first few years, but as the car got older, the CD got more sensitive to bumps in the road.

WRT electronic skip protection mentioned by other posters, I also doubt that this radio had it, but it did not used to be this sensitive to bumps. Something in the CD played has degraded mechanically or electronically.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Part of the problem is you cleaned the lens. Below the lens is the bottom of the lens, a mirror, and the diode assy. ANd that dirt is still there.

When i clean them, i first use canned air to blow them out. Then i have some highly evaporatable optical lens cleaner spray i spray beside the lens assy to get down into the laser sled unit where you cannot see. Then Put it upside down to let it drain out and evaporate. If your lucky then, its better. Give it an hour or two to dry out before you try it. The first time i tried it, i though i killed the laser. Then latter it came back to life when it dried out internally.

Bob

Bob Urz

Sure they could. The entire trans-am was a absolute POS during most of the 80's needing service more often than fuel.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hi!

Whatever you do, DO NOT twiddle any pots or adjustments inside the player! This may really "fix" things beyond all hope of repair.

I would start by looking for dust build-up in the player. I've pulled some car radios out over time that were just choked with dust, even ones that came from cars which were well kept over time. Perhaps there's a gob of dust stuck to the lens. There might also be something stuck in the track that the pickup runs along...and that could cause the sled assembly not to be able to move freely, which might cause skipping in the audio. While you're in there, see if the spindle motor is stiff or sticky when turned by hand. It too could be suffering from dried up grease or oil.

Also worth a shot are any electrolytic capacitors in the radio. Over time the moisture inside these capacitors could have been driven out by extreme heat in the car. This can cause all kinds of malfunctions or strange behavior.

I do agree with most of the other posters here--the Delco made radios are cheaply constructed and are not really the best thing out there. This is true even today--the radio from my 2003 S-10 is held together *only* by snap points in the metal casing! But they do seem to keep playing (at least the radio does) for quite some time.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh