Marantz CD 94 /Philips CD 960 display dark

Who can help ?

Have this old CD unit with very dark fluorescent tube display. Threre is still data displayed but very dark and fuzzy. Maybe display failure is in connection with failure of a nearby placed illumination bulb for the switches. But this bulb has nothing to do with the illumination of the display itself. Have replaced with equivalent because no longer available. Euras database has this failure in database but as private collector I have no acess. Would urgently need repair advice or complete display board if available from a dead unit. No service for this old unit here at all. Sevice unit went bankrupt and new company does not even have data nor advice.

Sorry for bad (austrian) english and many thanks for your advice.

Michael

Reply to
gasper

Hi Michael, Could be that the filament supply required to illuminate the tube is low due to a dry electrolytic capacitor or a resistor value gone high. Trace back from the outer points of the tube (filament points) to the power supply. If you see an electrolytic capacitor in series with one of the lines, try blowing some hot air on it. If that makes your display brighter, replace the capacitor. Jango

Reply to
jango2

Michael,

My Philips CD 880 had a problem with it's display that was caused by cold or fractured solder joints on the power supply board. In my case, there were two connectors from the power transformer where the solder on the pins had fractured from expansion and contraction due to heat inside the player. After resoldering all the pins on the connectors, I haven't had any problems since. In my case, the display would dim or go out completely, and a gentle tap on the case might bring it back to life.

I'm not familiar with the CD 960, but you may be looking at a bad solder joint on a connector or power transistor due to the age of the player, since it came out shortly before my CD 880.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob