8 MM VCR Pioneer VE-D70

This machine 8 MM VCR Pioneer VE-D70 is still almost in brandnew condition although it must be over 10 years old and has been sitting on the NON-repairables shelf for a long time. It is a nice example of the few 8 MM Video Recorders which were available on the market. Problem is:the VCR part totally inoperative, Display section and Tuner selection OK. I managed to manually remove the loaded casette by applying some 3VDC directly to the unplugged threading motor. Obviously I am missing some of the supply/control voltages. I noted that every PCB has a few miniature FS fuses but just like other fuses they are all OK. Other indications are that pushing power ON/OFF does switch the display ON/OFF but the GREEN Front Panel LED to tell that power is applied or system is in SBY does NOT illumunate. I have no clue as to what PS voltages shall appear where and when. All my WWW search for a freebee schematic have failed. I hope that some one at this SCI.electronics group knows the machine a little better and can give me some hints or provide me with a (partly) copy of its schematic

TY Brasto

Reply to
Brasto

Well, it's around 20+ years old, not 10.

That model is a re-badged Sony and you might have better luck figuring that model out and looking for it instead of the Pioneer manual. At one time or another I stumbled into a couple websites that had reviews of 8mm decks from that era.

That particular machine was noted because it was one of the few that supported the PCM recording format, audio only and would provide 24 hours at LP mode on six tracks.

The downside to it (besides being tape, a dying breed) is it was prior to the Hi8 format and isn't as useful as one thinks. #2 on this list is parts were nearly unavailable for it in the early 90's when those deck first started to fail. These days unless you get one for parts and make one out of two, nothing in there can be ordered anymore.

The reason I mention that is your specific problem is likely on the power board, or what resembles one. I might be confusing it with another chassis but I beleive all roads to the transport end up at an STK device which was an oddball. At the time (late 80's) there was a concept of splitting the power supplies, one to feed the video/audio sections and another to do the dirty work with the motors and transports.

So likely where you are measuring things at now are coming from a different source than where the motors get fed from. I'd look towards the back of the machine, the stk was mounted upside down, possibly using the rear as the heat sink or it was on a heatsink and it was bolted to the chassis.

That deck is a challenge to work on because of the way it's built and I agree, you probably aren't going to get anywhere without the manual.

Thinking about it, the Sony model was maybe ev-700 or ev-800.

But is from the mid/late 80's, that I'm sure about.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Hallo Bruce,

That was a good help explaining that this machine has a split powersupply. I located the STK5362 and discovered it has 15 VDC as an Input to pin7 and all the other pins are zero or very low. You are right data on the STK5362 is very rare, guess the machine will need 5 and 12 VDC at some points. I'll try to reconstruct the voltages using external powersupplies and if I resurect the Pioneer VE-D70 this way I'll modify the STK circuits using some state of the art Voltage regulators.

Reply to
Brasto

I don't know if you received the email, got similar ones from two different accounts.

The Sony model of that machine is the ev-s700 and a picture of it is here:

Like I said, it'll still be looking for a needle in a haystack for the service manual but better odds on Sony than Pioneer.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:50:25 -0700 (PDT), Brasto put finger to keyboard and composed:

My vrt databook describes the STK5362 as a "VC, Dual, +5.1V/1.2A,

+9V/0.7A".

FWIW, other "VC Dual" (Video Recorder) parts include ...

STK5346

STK5352
STK5353 STK5361L STK5364
STK5321-7 series

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Bruce & Frank TY for your support. I did figure out the pin-out of my STK 5362 and substituted its 5VDC and 9VDC output momentarily by external powersupplies and turned on the VCR.........There was light and rumble now...the casette compartment opened flawlessly and was brightly illuminated. I flipped an 8MM casette into the machine, but the door failed to latch....One could see/hear some motoraction as the tape threading process was initiated but the guideposts never moved from their unthread position.

After a while compartmentlights went out, (recycling mains & 5-9 VDC had no result, probably some component had opened up the 9VDC ckt as current had became a solid zero mA.

Still not having its schematics I was fortunate with the SONY EP-S700 info as provided by Bruce, a friend of mine told me he has a working EP-S700 at home which I can borrow to do some further experimenting to fault isolate my machine. Bruce, you are right almost 25 years old....and a lot of bundled wires and screws but.....too good looking for the trash and...... being retired I can afford to waste more time and energy.......

Reply to
Brasto