60" RCA w/CTC169 Chassis Convergence Setup

Hey all! Hopefully someone can give me a little guidance on this. I recently picked up a 60" RCA rear projection TV on the cheap, dead. It had a coolant leak on the green tube and was causing the anode to arc. I repaired the coolant leak and the messed up anode lead so now the unit powers on, but the convergence is totally messed up now. I expected it to be a little off, but nothing like it is. Originally I was able to get the crosshair all lined up in the center of the screen from the user menu, but things were still out of alignment around the edges of the screen. So I was tweaking the other controls behind the speaker grille and I have made it worse. So I talked to a service center and they are telling me it can take up to 8 hours to set up the convergence and that the HV arcing has probably damaged the convergence chip.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks! James

Reply to
Grauwulf

Dont you believe the Tech ? kip

Reply to
kip

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:43:41 -0800, Grauwulf Has Frothed:

Change the convergence chips. They aren't that expensive. Buy a service manual and go through the static and dynamic convergence steps.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

I am a little dubious only because I have a bit of experience working on CRT based arcade monitors (basicly CRT TV's minus the tuner section) and I have had numerous flybacks blow and send HV to ground via the frame of the monitor and I have yet to experience a component failure because of it. However, this is the first projection TV I have worked on so I may have to rely on some outside help to get this sorted out.

kip wrote:

Reply to
Grauwulf

It is possible that HV arcing may have damaged something, it is not that common in that chassis unless you left the HV lead on the convergence output board and tried to power the set up.

The service center does not appear to know your set, or you did not provide them with enough details on the chassis number. That set does not have convergence output ICs but discrete transistor outputs. The waveform generator and D/A converter for the convergence adjustments are all on the front pcb. If you can adjust each colors geometry and dc offset, then it is probable that someone previously also messed with the controls.

A full geometry and convergence adjustment on that set may take several hours to complete from scratch.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Reply to
Grauwulf

What is the chassis # of this set? If it is PTK 195, Carefully remove PTV AUX Module (one on thr right.Inspect cir bd for Coolant leak, Espically in aera of Sockets ( the 2 with ribbon connectors) I use laquer thiner for a cleaning solvent ( It dries fast & Clean) this fixed one for me a couple of weeks ago Also be sure coolant level is not too high in tubes. Some of these sets came from Factory over filled, When they got hot coolant expands. The reason for puke bottle on your cars radiator. Feel free to contact me if you need more snipped-for-privacy@corrwireless.net

Reply to
radiotech

It is a CTC169 Chassis.

snipped-for-privacy@corrwireless.com wrote:

Reply to
Grauwulf

Sorry I Missed the chassis # But the coolant could still be the problem, If leaked on the PTV AUX cir bd. I've seen holes burned all way through the board, also look for signs on cir bd of over heating. Pull Aux bd out & check transistors with digital meter ( Aux Bd is NLA)

Reply to
radiotech

Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with. The green is the only one that is my concern simply because I know I messed up the blue and red fiddling with the adjustments. The green seems to be rotated a little bit clockwise. I'm wondering if it is some inattention on my part making sure the CRT was square to the lens housing when I was repairing the coolant leak since the neck magnets don't seem to give me the adjustments I need to square it up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Grauwulf

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:33:00 -0800, Grauwulf Has Frothed:

Those pictures indicate to me that the static (mechanical) adjustments need attention. Do you have service literature available? You will need it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I do not have the service literature. Any suggestions as to where I can order it from?

Thanks! James

Meat Plow wrote:

Reply to
Grauwulf

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 06:14:22 -0800, Grauwulf Has Frothed:

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

I have that service manual already. It does not touch on doing manual convergence. I may have to get a hardcopy OEM manual.

Any suggestions?

James

Reply to
Grauwulf

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:05:52 -0800, Grauwulf Has Frothed:

Have a local repair shop that might have that on file? Maybe Sams?

They have a 102 page manual for the CTC169 but it's pretty pricey at $38 US.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow