30 GB Video IPod redux

Ok the display is backlit with 4 LEDs at the bottom. Behind the LCD there is a light diffuser/spreader whatever you want to call it. It's a static component just there to spread the light from the light source evenly behind the LCD. Obviously this was damaged somehow, probably dropped although the former owner would not admit it and the IPod has no apparent damage to the case. Behind the light "spreader" there is a reflective piece of something. It's not totally opaque because I can shine a strong light through it and see the damage on the LCD side with the display unplugged. So this is a simple matter of replacing the display This particular model has five latches on each side, two on the bottom and one on the top.

Meat Plow

Presumably, it came apart without issue ? What did you use in the end, as your 'entry tool' ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Small blade of my Victorinox Swiss army knife. Only issue were the five latches per side, one on top and two on the bottom contrary to the video of the Japanese lady dispatching the case in short order with three per side and two on the top and bottom. The important thing is to recognize the latches protrude from the metal case into the chassis. I figured that was the correct assumption right off the bat because the case could not harbor a dimple for a latch. The backside is actually two pieces. The internal has the latches to fit the chassis dimples. I guess this is so the outside piece would not be cosmetically influence by adding latches to it.

Now, where to get a new display? There is 1WU5K2077258 on the back of the display. Does this mean anything to you? That's all I really need. The 3.5mm jack and battery are fine. Come to think of it I might want to replace the front panel because there are some scuffs and scratches over the display and if I've gone this far that might as well be replaced since the entire unit was a gift I'm not out any money.

Meat Plow

Not sure where you might get parts in the U.S. I don't know if that company I pointed you at here in the UK would ship to the U.S. Might be worth flashing them a mail to ask. I think I found them originally just Googling "iPod spare parts". You should be able to at least find the part you need on their site, which might allow you to cross reference it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

What was the URL again?