Low emission high definition tv?

Dear folks:

My sister is very sensitive to electrical imput...loud noises, auditory buzzes (like in some department stores, etc.), high voltage wires, etc.. I would like to help get her a high-definition tv but I don't know if they make any with relatively low emissions. I am trying to do some research on this, thus my question to you.

Do you know of any tv manufacturers who might make low-emission, high-definition tvs? She has an old 19" analog tv set now (about 20 years old). I don't even know how standard high-def tv's compare with these older analog tv sets regarding emissions. Do you know anywhere I might do some searches on the internet for my research on this? Also, I am not versed in electronics or electronic lingo, so the simpler the explanations, the better for me!

thanks--! Craig

Reply to
csmith

Most of the HD sets I've seen emit the same crappy programming that the standard definition TVs do.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

For this case stay away from Plasma TVs, they are basically as powerful as a microwave oven. A high def that uses LCD or DLP (Digital Light Projection) would be better. The DLP TVs use microelectromechanical (MEMS) mirrors to switch light to the display (illuminated pixel) or away from the display (dark pixel). LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) use liquid crystals to either block light (off mode) or pass light (on mode). In the off mode the crystals are disorganised and opaque (dark). When a bias (voltage) is applied the crystals line up and the display in front of the pixel become transparent (bright). Also since light is an electromagnetic wave, the size of the tv should probably be kept small.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to understand the condition. I mearly stated a fact.

Dwayne

[snip]
Reply to
Dwayne

probably be kept small.

Huh? Than she needs to avoid the sun and light in general.

One warning regarding cheap LCD tv sets, look at the colour transitions. The cheap ones have smaller number of colours which can look really bad in certain scenes where large areas of the display are of very similar colour (the sky, sea etc). Have a good long look at the picture before you buy it.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

It sounds like your sister is reacting to the *sound* associated with certain electrical circuits.

/quote

My sister is very sensitive to electrical imput

( your speculation )

...loud noises, auditory buzzes (like in some department stores, etc.), high voltage wires,

( high voltage wires are often buzzy )

etc..

/endquote

In short there's nothing you need to worry about with modern TVs.

Old models often had line output transformers that 'whined' and was annoying - but flat screen displays don't need them. Modern HDTVs work at frequencies that are inaudible too ( same problem used to affect older computer displays too sometimes )

My money is on your sister being sensitive to auditory distractions - not the supposed electrical phenomena promoted by the 'tin foil hat' brigade. ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Dear folks:

Thanks for your responses. Do any of you have any recommendations on electronic companies-- online or brick and mortar-- which might be more informed about lower emissions? Or any place on the web I might get more info on this? thanks again, Craig

Reply to
csmith

I've heard that guys who work on big radar antennas carry along a wad of steel wool. Before they climb up on the structure, they toss the steel wool up in front of the antenna. If it hits the ground, the antenna is safe. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well.... depends on what kind of lower emissions you're looking for.

In the UK - there are currently 2 specific types of electromagnetic radiation that are considered by some to be troublesome. The evidence is sketchy. Frankly no-one knows for sure.

#1 High voltage power distribution lines. ( if you live near / underneath them )

#2 Cellphone base stations. ( if you live near them - esp if it's a kid's school )

Note that *no-one* thinks TV sets are a problem.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No -

But, thinking rationally, I would go for an LCD-type screen because they use low voltages and low currents, thus have less energy available to radiate (Depending on construction there might be some electromagnetic output from the internals, it should be very low, assuming the set meets EMI requirements).

I would *assume* the old 19" to be spewing EMI in abundance in all directions, being built in a time where EMI regulation was to keep the noise below the level where one disturbed the neighbours radio/tv set!

So, In Reality, it is hard to tell what will work for you - because it it probably your sisters *perception* of EMI levels that matter to her and not what is actually there/measureable!

Maybe a more practical approach is to rent/try a few different sets?

Repeat until you arrive at one she is comfortable with?

...Which may well be the old, noisy, 19". (or the obscenely expen$$ive set ;-)

I.M.O.:

It's a "Golden Ear" situation - just go with whatever *she* and not the datasheet says!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Pooh Bear schrieb:

Neither are TV or radio broadcasting stations transmitting 100,000 Watts ;-)

Regards

--
Michael Redmann
"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it." (Spock)

... Ignoring Of Course the radiation level from the 2W transmitter in the Handset while it is glued to the childrens head ... the basestation that everyone moans about is typically 12 W at 100 meter distance (and "lobed" so the power radiates outward, hitting the neighbours at around 400 meter with a few uw/m2).

"Radiation" is a religious issue.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen