3 phase to single

I want to use a 3 phase water pump from a single phase domestic supply. What would be the cheapest way to go about this.

Reply to
jtd.45

I forgot to mention that I live in the UK and my supply is 220/240. and the pump is a 220/380v 50hz 1hp 075kw and 5.3amps

Reply to
jtd.45

get a single phase motor/pump.

seriously.

Reply to
budgie

You can build or buy a static phase converter, but you'll lose a lot of power and that's probably not ideal for a water pump. A rotary phase converter is another alternative -- again, you can buy one, or make one from an old 3 phase 220 v motor, capacitors, and some switches and relays. The motor, which will be used as a rotary transformer, must be rated at twice the horsepower of the one you're driving.

There are also electronic inverters for variable frequency drive that can supply three phases from one. Again, they should be derated 50%.

These are all available > I want to use a 3 phase water pump from a single phase domestic supply.

Reply to
Mike Berger

Look on ebay for a VFD, I've seen them used on several drill presses with 3 phase motors running off a single phase supply.

Reply to
James Sweet

Connect two of the three phase wires coming from the motor directly to the mains. The third wire will be connected to one of the other lines via a capacitor. The line it's connected to determines the direction of the rotation. The capacitor value must change depending on the conditions. During the starting (2 to 5 sec; max) a 30 to 100 µF 265 Vac capacitor will do the job. As soon as the motor reaches its nominal load and speed, 1.5 to 5 µF 330 Vac is enough. The big capacitor must be disconnected.

I've a grinder wired like that which has been working for years.

Several old washing machines were equipped with such capacitors and values. They were using single phase motors with two windings (lo & hi-speed) with two capacitors each to be able to start under load. A centrifugal switch was ensuring the capacitor change.

a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
frischmoutt

There is no "cheap" way to do it, although you can get a device that will generate a three phase output from a single phase supply. It is basically an intelligent three phase inverter system. They work well but are not overly cheap. You might find it cheaper to buy a single phase water pump.

The Shar Par

Two capacitors are enough. see my early post on the topic. One for starting, one for continuous use. Not perfect, of course but cheap and painless for a motor

a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

News==----

Newsgroups

Reply to
frischmoutt

Reply to
Mike Berger

Correct ! But the trade off is quickly done. In most occasions, rewinding the motor is worthless as well as buying an inverter.

"Mike Berger" a écrit dans le message news: ds7snq$9hg$ snipped-for-privacy@roundup.shout.net...

Reply to
frischmoutt