$&*(*%!!!

I'd been listening to a Sony SRF-80W (the original FM Walkman) while on the treadmill. Several weeks ago it developed loud post-volume-control blasting noises, so I went back to my iRiver.

Two electrolytics were the likely culprits. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling out the 'scope, to confirm the diagnosis.

Yup. You guessed it.

The blasting was gone. So was the stereo. I adjusted the PLL lock pot (which I'd done on several samples of this unit, including this one) -- and it refused to lock. (This is not a critical adjustment. It can easily be done "by ear".)

Isn't it fun to own classic, high-quality products that stop working -- and there's no straightforward way to fix them?

Maybe when the weather warms up, it'll start working again. (Nah...)

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

he treadmill. Several weeks ago it developed loud post-volume-control blast ing noises, so I went back to my iRiver. Two electrolytics were the likely culprits. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling out the 'scope, to conf irm the diagnosis. Yup. You guessed it. The blasting was gone. So was the s tereo. I adjusted the PLL lock pot (which I'd done on several samples of th is unit, including this one) -- and it refused to lock. (This is not a crit ical adjustment. It can easily be done "by ear".) Isn't it fun to own class ic, high-quality products that stop working -- and there's no straightforwa rd way to fix them? Maybe when the weather warms up, it'll start working ag ain. (Nah...) "We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the rig ht questions." -- Edwin Land

Put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours and see what happens.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Any chance you put the electrolytics in backwards? That's my favorite mistake.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The Pacific Northwest has been "the refrigerator" for the past two months!

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I hadn't replaced them. The original problem had seemingly cured itself. Then the radio developed another problem.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

he

ng

d to

ich

e "by

nd

."

About a year ago I was repairing my old Grundig "Transistor 305" AM/FM port able radio. I used to ride around The Bronx when I was a kid with this radi o strapped to my bicycle. It's a nice old radio circa 1970. It had become i ntermittent and was driving me crazy. I posted it to this group along with the schematic posted somewhere else. (I don't remember how I did this but I had help), so that everyone interested could see it, and I got advice and help from all over the world. It was amazing. One guy from Sweden even sent me a set of germanium transistors and diodes for it. I also included with this good and bad voltages taken. It was months and my own radio so I kept at it and "we" eventually found the flaky coupling cap that was causing the problem. I hope that your experience is as positive as mine was. BTW if yo u think the Northwest is cold, try New Hampshire. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

I assume it was fairly easy to unsolder and replace parts. This little unit is crammed with parts, making that difficult to do. The subminiature electrolytics are increasingly hard to find. I'll wait until Spring arrives, then give it another shot.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You have to love those super tiny caps and that amzingly thin stranded wire.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

[...]

I would suggest some Percussive Maintenance; drop it on the floor from about

5 feet up. If it still doesn't work, nothing ventured, nothing gained! ;-))

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

I really need to look at my treadmill. Been figuring something in power supply. It will keep shutting down while in use. I keep thinking caps.

Greg

Reply to
gregz