Looking for a chip burning mob!

Hey people!!!

About 7 years ago there was a mob somewhere in Australia (melbourne I think) that sold their own chip burner... It was advertised in Electronics Australia for a long while and it was quite expensive, but was able to bypass the security of a lot of programmable chips... Can anyone remember the mob or would somebody have a back issue of EA they could have a flick through? It was in the back advertising section...

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers!

Reply to
byt E raper

Do you mean a device that is able to read the contents of a security protected micro or other device?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hi Dave, yep. Samsung K9F5608U0B Its a boot rom for a portable computer. The manufacturer wont repair it. They tell me it is not a servicable part and want me to buy another complete unit. Pretty rough considering the cost. So I'm looking for a way to repair it using the good unit's chip as a reference. I have 2 of these computers, each one has a unique ID stored in the secure area and wont boot without it, hence why Im looking for a way to do it. I know there used to be a mob that did this kind of work but i dont remember what they were called.

Regards!

Reply to
byt E raper

Hmm, it might have been JED Micros in Melbourne if memory serves.

Cheers,

Reply to
sam

u could always analyse the data from the rom, whilst booting. if you don't have the gear, slow the clock down and use a led on the data pins - an old trick!

: > Dave :) : : Hi Dave, yep. : Samsung K9F5608U0B Its a boot rom for a portable computer. The manufacturer : wont repair it. They tell me it is not a servicable part and want me to buy : another complete unit. Pretty rough considering the cost. So I'm looking for : a way to repair it using the good unit's chip as a reference. : I have 2 of these computers, each one has a unique ID stored in the secure : area and wont boot without it, hence why Im looking for a way to do it. : I know there used to be a mob that did this kind of work but i dont remember : what they were called. : : Regards! : : : :

Reply to
E d

Good luck, no longer are the days of 1k roms. The OP is describing a

32mb flash. millions of instructions may be executed before the secure bit.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Sadly wasn't JED Micros :( I already know what the code is, its an 8 digit combination of alphanumerical data eg 1N325ZAT, I just don't know how its stored in the chip itself or how to recreate it. I dont know how many bytes the programmable block has in it because I dont really understand the electronics side of it, but I do know it has to store the particular model # and the 8 digits in that one spot, so it can't be a huge size...

Reply to
byt E raper

In that case you'll be very lucky if anyone can do it easily. There are some people around who claim to be able to do stuff like this, but in relality it is dependant upon the device model itself. Several brands and models of (mostly older) micros and PLDs have known flaws in the security system that can be exploited, but it's unlikely someone has done it for your particular model of memory device. Also, the process often involves destruction testing of several components, so with only one working device I'd be very hesitant to give it to one of these companies.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hi Dave, It wouldnt be that much of a sacrifice, I'd just buy several blank ones ;) I don't suppose you know of any of these above mentioned people?

Cheers!

Reply to
byt E raper

Yeah, but if they kill your only working one before they figure it out

- oops...

Not off-hand, sorry, they tend to come and go a lot. This might be a good place to ask:

Good luck.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones