ADC in ATmega8

Hello, I am doing a project using ATmega8. For that we need an ADC of atleast

5Msps. We first thought of using the built in ADC but I want to know the maximum samples per second for the in built ADC? I guess it is around 150Ksps but I am not sure. Can I increase this sample rate by loading the prescalar value like one or 2? Could someone help. Thanks with regards
Reply to
Sam

Max is about 15 Ksps. The max sample-clock rate is 200 KHz at full resolution and each conversion requires 13 sample clocks.

Given that the ATmega8 tops out at 16 MHz, trying to handle a 5 Msps ADC directly might be rather ambitious.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Would you like to give me any suggestions? What we are planning is that we will use an adc to sample out the analog signal and then stored into the memory of the microcontroller. It will then sent to the processor for display on the screen using VGA programming. Everything is working fine but we searching for the ADC. Any idea to work this out? Regards

Reply to
Sam
[Please include context when replying. Google != usenet]

I'd start with Digikey, Mouser, and Newark to see what's actually available to buy. From Digikey, assuming that 10 bits is enough (based on your suggestion that the ADC in the ATmega8 was sufficient but slow) and that you need at least 5 Msps then the answer is: TI's THS10082IDA.

An AVR is a nice processor but it's not really designed to sling data around at that rate, certainly not on its own. A supporting CPLD or small FPGA may give you enough throughput. Otherwise, I'd look at one of the ARM-core processors.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to