Philips 89C51Rx to be obselete?

I have heard Philips have hiked the price of these parts by 50% to existing users in an attempt to persuade them to migrate to the 89V51Rx series. Does this mean the 89C51Rx series will soon be obseleted?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

"Ian Bell" schreef in bericht news:du64pp$nfk$ snipped-for-privacy@slavica.ukpost.com...

I don't know.

I never cared much about Philips MCU's. Mostly because when I worked with them they couldn't even (or just) drive a single led. Every applications had a lot of FET's or ULN's in it. Some MCU's from philips couldn't even drive a ULN.

The second reason is only valid for some of the MCU and is also the reason why I tend not to use NEC, is the lifespan. This is not long for most MCU's. I like Microchip with their lifespan: It's relative long and if they throw a MCU out of their program, which is always said a long time before they do it, a pin and code compatible replacement is available.

Alexander

Reply to
Alexander

Are you sure you are thinking of the 8051 and its derivatives? They can all drive LEDs and ULNs.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian Bell schrieb:

No, only wit additional pull-ups. All "original" 8051 have *very* weak outputs when driven high (due to the quasi-bidirectional port design). And even the low output current is hardly sufficient to drive LEDs.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.