Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?.
Earleir we used to use U-Boot Boot loader, I am looking for any better
ones. The card is like Router Platform. Thanks.

Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

Better than U-Boot? What do you not like about U-Boot?

I have done several embedded Router platforms, and I have used U-Boot for
all of them.  It has a wide set of features, supports many platforms and
will normally fit in less than 128KB of memory.

I am not sure what else you could want.

Chuck

Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?
Chuck,

Actually we are doing small project based on TiniARM card, which is
based on ARM Processor, 128KB Flash and 64K RAM (Philips 2610 based
Microcontroller), basically we would like to load tini Bootloader and
then OS onto it (uC-OS-ii), looking for very compact Boot Loader for
this ARM Microcontroller. Please suggest us which one will be better.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

Why do you need a bootloader at all?  What do you expect a
bootloader to do on a board like that?  It's not like you've
got to load a file into RAM from a filesystem on a disk.  Just
build your program and burn it into Flash.

--
Grant Edwards
snipped-for-privacy@visi.com

Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

I have done linux projects on MIPS with no bootloader at all.  Like
Grant mentioned, there was a small amount of 'startup' code which simply
initialized the system, decompressed the OS into memory and passed
control to the OS.

While this did not allow for the same amount of control as U-Boot,
it was very compact and effective.

Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

In the OP's case (with 128K of ROM and 64K of RAM) I don't even
see how there could be a "decompress the OS into memory" step.
He's in all likelyhood just going to run directly from ROM.

I'm not sure what there would be to congrol if you're running
directly from ROM unless it's a _really_ small program, you put
multiple versions in ROM, and you actually _do_ load one into
RAM to run it.  With 64KB of RAM, I doubt he's going to be
running from RAM.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are we live or
                                  at               on tape?