Modifying WebCam to get Composite Video

Is there any way to modify the CCD module in a webcam to output a composite video signal (NTSC hopefully)? I know most of these cameras process the video directly to the USB signal, but are there any commercial available chips/kits that I can interface with the CCD to give me the desired output?

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy H.

You buy a digital camera, one with TV output.

Or you get a video card that has TV output, then use the webcam with the computer and feed the TV from the video card.

There is no reason at all that a webcam would output any kind of standard video. It's just wasteful circuitry, given that the computer needs a digital signal.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Like I said in my previous post, I'm aware that most of the cameras just process the digital signal out to the USB interface. I'm wondering if there are schematics, kits, etc. that can be interfaced to the CCD module to provide the output that I want.

The reason that I ask is that I would like to take out the crappy CCD module supplied inside those cheap, imported, 2.4GHz wireless video units, and replace it with a higher quality one from a webcam. These cheap video units have a separate Tx board attached to the main CCD board and it would be fairly trivial to switch them out assuming the same output format (analog video). Using the CCD from a webcam is MUCH cheaper that buying some of the commercial solutions (~$300).

This camera will be mounted >> Is there any way to modify the CCD module in a webcam to output a

Reply to
Andy H.

Well, it looks like the Logitech 3000 and 4000 both use a SONY ICX098BQ CCD module. From the data sheet

it appears that this particular module can be set to 'monitoring mode' and output an NTSC signal (WOOHOO!!). I'll let you guys know if I actually get it to work. :)

Reply to
Andy H.