WANTED: Console mode image capture software

We have a client who wants to use a USB camera to take pix of
customers, and also a USB scanner to scan ID's and Checks.

It may be possible, with the right camera (i.e., good resolution and
autofocus) to use the camera for ID's and Checks instead of the
scanner.

There is no OCR component to either of these, we simply want to kick
off a child process, capture the pic and store it - something along
the lines of

     makefoto /vars/clients/pic/041003300233.jpg

Of course, if the functionality could be made available for linking
into our own c code, that would be a real plus...

Either way, "makefoto" would place the camera (suitably installed, of
course) into streaming mode, display the picture on the screen and
wait for any keystroke; upon seeing the keystroke, it would freeze the
current picture, and ask "OK?" with possible answers of
   Y  - save the picture in the given file, exit
   N  - loop back to streaming pictures wait for another keystroke
   Q  - exit immediately

The scanner interface would be substantially the same, except that it
would only take one "picture" at a time, but it would still need to
display the pic and see if it was okay or not. Something like

     makescan /vars/clients/ids/041003300233.jpg

The specific camera is more or less immaterial, as long as it's got
autofocus and produces reasonably good quality pictures. They are
currently getting acceptable results (on a Windoze box) with several
different cameras including an Intel CS0430 and a WatchPort V (used to
be 3Com), but at the cost of a good bit of mousing and clicking, plus
having to type the file name... I know the Intel is listed on the
spca50x site on sourceforge as having a USB driver, so it might not be
too hard to run.

The scanner they like so far is a Scanshell, which is specifically
sized for IDs and checks, but I don't know the model number, and
haven't received information on the chipset or hardware/firmware
engine yet - there may be a SANE driver already done, or it may be not
too difficult to do. Our client has talked to the people at Scanshell,
and they seemed to be willing to assist with any specs or technical
information needed. If we go with this scanner, we won't necessarily
need the autofocus on the camera.

One last thing - this needs to be in console mode, not X-windows.
They're using zgv to display their existing photos right now in
console mode (not in an x terminal), and it uses svgalib, so I assume
the console mode is not likely to be a problem.

If you know of such an application, or you can produce it (or them),
please post contact information here.  Or if you're just interested in
discussing it, jump right in!

Thanks, all.

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software

Download xawtv, it comes with a little app, streamer.
This should give you ideas, it works with anything with a V4l interface.
I've used it for various apps including grabbing snapshots
of pictures, and streaming bitstreams to an application to do video
processing on starfields.

Should give you an idea, V4L isn't complex.

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software

I was under the impression it's a purely x app... we're trying really
hard to avoid x completely and run this from a console. Basically, the
user logs in and his bashrc runs an app for him, and when it
completes, he's exited back to a login.

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software

Streamer is console.

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software

Fantabulous - we'll give it a try... Thanks!!!

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software

Two other options are ffmpeg and mplayer.  Streamer is nice but was found to
occasionally lock up
while taking the snapshot.

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software
occasionally lock up

I've also just remembered that sane has a backend to deal with V4l devices,
so the OP might be able to use it for both camera and scanner.

Re: WANTED: Console mode image capture software

occasionally lock up

Yes, we were thinking SANE might make a good basis for both. It seems
possible that this could be either a single app with a command line
parameter for the device to be used, or perhaps two apps differing
only in the single-pic versus pic stream presentation.

Site Timeline