Where is the technology of 3d video?

Our vision is binocular, and there are 3D displays, and 3D cameras, that implement two-image recordings.

But, from stereo microscopes, we can also get real-time viewing of a three-dimensional object. What are the camera/display options for implementing a good quality realtime stereo video image?

Even for a monocular image, the options are ... odd. There are a few monocular camera/display options, using composite video for a telescope/microscope/rearview camera and low-quality display, but for higher quality imaging, it's all still photography or record/playback solutions. Or, VERY high prices for 'industrial video'.

Is there some compelling reason that a photoframe with a USB type A socket cannot accept a USB video camera? Or that a stereo microscope cannot display to a 3D television type display?

Other than computer-in-the-middle, that is. Keyboard, mouse, disk operating system, etc. are just IN THE WAY when you want a point-and-watch solution.

Reply to
whit3rd

Two future devices are :

Hologram film cylinder with video rate changes to film opacity. Pixels of 2000 Angstroms are 0.2 um. It is possible to make 200nm semiconductor films in a cylinder shape that is 30 inches wide. Than you look into the film cylinder and see 3D holograph animated.

Crystal ball Filled with phosphors Sm Eu S and illuminated by 3 colors of lasers (IR orange blue) to erase and write 3D phosphor suspension in oil filled crystal ball.

Reply to
Alan Folmsbee

Not sure what you mean? Something like FPV goggles? (first hit)

I don't know if they make those in 3-D but I'd guess they do. (I've seen 3-D camera's)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ever tried one of these?

Don't laugh, it actually works pretty good.

Reply to
bitrex

Not quite what I want, of course... because (1) the battery-powered-gizmo clamped to my face is a nuisance (but a pair of polarizer glasses would be OK). and (2) the input source has some kind of radio? That's a needless complication. (3) with a mono-camera source, it's kilobucks. The 'side-by-side' support for a display, isn't (if I'm reading the specs correctly) for camera output, but some kind of massaged or game-generated recording format.

The site DOES have HD cameras with impressive video output rates and under-$100 prices, which is good, but they don't plug into any recognizable display hardware, just offer 'streaming' and a picture of a 12-wire connect cable "MIPI".

Reply to
whit3rd

You will have to use something other than USB for a signal channel. USB is designed as Host Slave, so there must always be a host ( usually a PC ) between peripherals. Of course you can use 'smaller' hosts, but you still have to have something between dumb devices like video cameras and display unit.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Digital photoframes may have host USB sockets, to read out thumb drives, that should work (they might also have USB slave socket, to dock to a computer). The recent devices are NOT just host/slave, both USB OTG and the Type C connector are intended to get beyond that limitation.

Firewire was always peer-to-peer, but there are no Firewire displays (unless you count computers) that direct-connect to a camera.

A 'plain old' video monitor nowadays has on-screen display and menu buttons, it has to have enough compute power to initialize a webcam and display a stream. Trouble is, the usual cameras are poorly documented, and so are video monitor firmwares.

Reply to
whit3rd

A "Smart TV" maybe, but a plain old monitor only has an 8 bit microcontroller, you can't run a USB host on one of them.

Jasen Betts

The 'plain old monitor' gizmos I see handle DVI bitstreams, and a lot of 'em decode HDCP on the fly. There's some processing power other than a minimal eight-bit controller in there.

My concern, though, is more general: monitors take video in and display it, and cameras turn scenery; into video output. Why, oh why, do none of the available cameras give the same output signals that monitors accept? With the sole exception of old-style composite video, there just isn't any overlap in the camera-output options and monitor-input options.

It takes a computer-in-the-middle to do a conversion, or (worse) a chain of recording/networking/broadcasti/receiver/custom-softwre.

Reply to
whit3rd

So what is the objection to a computer-in-the-middle anyway ? Probably even something like an Arm Teensy could do that, at minimal power and cost, but maximum flexibility.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

I think quite a few point and shoot cameras are starting to have hdmi output

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Oh, yeah, I've got one: Canon Powershot SX230HS. It MIGHT, with a side excursion to a computer video editor, playback a video recording to the HDMI output, but the only native capability is to show a still picture on the HDMI screen. Not a live picture, just a snapshot taken a few seconds before.

I think. The manual coverage of this feature is ... cryptic.

Binocular vision, like in a stereo microscope, is very rich, and I'd like to see it with a HD video stream, through a display that can be seen from a comfortable sitting or standing position (not hunched over a microscope, or with rubber cups on my eyes).

My old SGI Indy (20-years-ago) had 3D video, so... what happened to make the technology just vanish?

Reply to
whit3rd