Re: SCO tries to collect money from embedded Linux users

See this, too:

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Seems the greed is on it's way.

Also a quite "interesting" interpretation of the GPL:

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

Hmm. Of course GCC is GPLed. AFAIK, GCC works with a huge "list" of specifications that make it create code for a processor. I think this "list" is not compiled to object code for the processor GCC runs on, so it is not "source code" and not "statically linked to GPLed code". Maybe this is what makes them think the GCC variation is not protected by GPL.

BTW.: I work with UBICOM's 2022. I have their SDK that is based on GNU tools (via CYGWIN). They _do_ provide the source code on request.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Is it really true that the first dangerous government moves regarding software patents are seen in Europe ? OTOH especially in Europe governments support moving to open source software (e.g. for security reasons).

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Apparently, SCO has sold an unnamed number of licences (for non-embedded linux) to an unnamed fortune 500 company. They describe the takeup as "better than expected" (they probably did not expect to catch *anyone* with enough money and yet gulable enough to fall for their extortion racket), and have thus suspended the linux licencing program:

David Brown

Is it just the 2.4 kernel they claim as infringing, and not 2.2?

Reply to
Paul Taylor

The first moves? Far from it, the European Commission has been pushing for software patents for some time, and they are on the verge of it being signed and sealed. Google is your friend - there are quite a few websites discussing EU and software patents (I'm offline here so can't quote).

Jifl

Jonathan Larmour

The German "Linux Magazine" (9/2003, p. 17) says that German Courts restrict German SCO from publicly claiming that Linux violates their copyright until same is affirmed by court.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

This would mean a script (Perl, Python or whatever) is no source-code as well. IMHO, anything that is taken by some kind of executing entity (human or non-human) and transfered into some action (mental or mechanical) is source code :-) :

-borrow two eggs

-smash them into a pan (but remove the shell before)

-add salt

-frie it

I think HiTex is walking on thin ice with their arguments. The interessting would be, where they altered FSF code: This must be made available on request. But then, GPL is not that easy to understand.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

Do you release this program under GPL ? Does it mean if I use it and offer the result to a guest, will I need to write the source code on a paper and place it on top ?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

No!

Only a CUSTOMER, not others, should be able to get the modified source.

(and questions further down that page)

If you have bought the binary you should also get the source. If you have the source you may publish it. But I guess the company that did the source have the right to be pissed at you and not provide you with any further support.

If you are a customer then the question arises do they need to release everything? Only a customer with access to the source they released can determine that... (What have they not released as source? Can they build their parts without needing GPL libraries/headers? Is it likely that they have been able to create their module without copying from at another GPL module for another processor? ...)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Roger Larsson

see:

"You may continue to use Linux without fear. "

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell