Squashfs environment variables

I have a Linux box that is using squashfs for the system. in /etc is a "profile" file with "export TZ=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/3"

This sets the time wrong, one hour out. In /etc/init.d there is rcS and the last two lines are if [ -e /var/etc/init.d/rcS.local ]; then . /var/etc/init.d/rcS.local

None of the system files are editable because of the squashfs but /var and sub-directories are. I created /var/etc/init.d/rcS.local and put #!/bin/sh . /var/etc/profile in it and made /var/etc/profile to have TZ=GMT in.

This didn't work at all.

I then just made a file containing TZ=GMT export TZ made it executable and ran it from the command line but this didn't work either. If I type "TZ=GMT" then "env" I can see that it works when typed directly from the command line.

I think my problem is something to do with "global" environment variables because if I open a second telnet session the TZ variable is back to the original.

How do I set the TZ variable for the whole machine without being able to write to the normal system files?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Mjolinor