Remote target debugging using KDevelop

I am developing firmware for a Moxa UC7420 Universal Communicator - an embedded XScale processor running Montavista Linux (2.4.18_mvl30-ixdp425). Using the KDevelop IDE (V3.1.0) under SuSE

9.2, I have successfully compiled and executed programs on the target system.

What would be very useful would be to use the remote debugging support in KDevelop, linking to the target over TCP/IP. The Moxa Web site gives instructions on doing this with DDD and this works with my setup. However, it would be preferable to use GDB within KDevelop.

Remote debugging is not well documented in KDevelop and about the only information I can find is in the floating help windows on the dialogue box for configuring debugging. This appears to be based on a post to this group by Roger Larsson in December 2003. However, my experience of KDevelop and Linux is insufficient to convert Roger's hints into a working solution.

Any advice and pointers on how to do this would be much appreciated.

The relevant section from Roger's post is as follows:

In project options (For C and C++ projects, should be there for others too - >but... reported as bug) there is a tab named Debugger. > >There you have a group named Remote Debugging - it can be used for other >purposes too... > >"Config gdb script" is not needed in this case. > >The goal of "Run shell script" is to start gdbserver (or an application with >embedded gdbstub on the target). Key command here is: > ssh ${ruser} gdbserver jeloin:2345 "${remote##/*/}" >where jeloin:2345 is the host and a port. "${remote##/*/}" is magic for >remote filename without (the host local) path. > >The goal of "Run gdb script" (gdb commands) is to connect with that target. >Key command in this file is: > target remote dox:2345 >where dox:2345 is the target with a port. > >(Note that the gdb script is run from the execution directory - often ./src >not the projects base - see "Run options") >

Thanks,

--
Chris Isbell
Southampton, UK