Open source cable server for Xilinx - for remote running of tools like Chipscope with unsopported target

Hi,

II'd like to know if there exists an open source implementation of Xilinx cable server, allowing to run it on a platform for which Xilinx does not provide binaries.

Of course it is possible to implement it as e.g. remote parport device (as Xilinx tools support parport connected programmers on Linux platform), but this solution would probably suffer the performance penalty.

Another solution would be to split the linux open source driver (

) into two parts communicating via TCP/IP, as I suggested in my post to comp.arch.embedded "Crazy idea - Embedded PC + USB debugging with QEMU - passing of only one USB interface to QEMU, or distributed libusb-driver" (
).

Both however are suboptimal solutions. The most efficient would be simply to have functional replacement of cse_server running on remote embedded system connected to the debugged FPGA.

Has anyone tried to do this? Does anybody know if the cse_server protocol is documented?

-- TIA & Regards, WZab

Reply to
wzab

I've found the old post:

pointing to
I've not verified it yet with hardware, but after first look it seems to be a good point to start.

Reply to
wzab

Xilinx changed there cableserver API, so xilprog doesn't work any longer with recent versions.

Uwe Bonnes

For remote system capable to be USB host and to run Linux a good solution may be to use usbip:

(via VPN if connection goes through a public network). Then both ChipScope and driver runs on developer's machine, and only USB requests/responses are forwarded via network. I have yet to evaluate the performance of such solution.

-- Regards, WZab

Reply to
wzab