Remote debugging

Greetings,

My Linux runes on x86 based SBC with custom build frame grabber and
data acquisition on PCI.

I am debugging undocumented codes which have been messed with from 10
persons in past 8 years. 

I can not set breakpoint and debug it on my machine as application
needs frame grabber, I/O and few more things.

I know remote debugging is possible on Ethernet. Can some one please
suggest how I can debug my application on my original hardware from
development machine on Ethernet?

Thanks in advance

Rushi

Re: Remote debugging

See the GDB manual for Remote Debugging.

There is a program called gdbstub in the GDB package. You need to run
it in the target system and connect to it from the host system
running the GDB user interface part.

To use the Ethernet connection you need a working TCP/IP
stack in oth computers. The GDB remote connection can use TCP
to transport the data.

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: Remote debugging

Good advice. Except that, IIRC, the program is called "gdbserver".

(Again, IIRC), gdbserver can also be set up to connect through
a serial connection.

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com

1. Right - I should have checked and not relied on memory. A custom
thing doing the same is called a GDB stub (I'm using such a tool
to remote debug ARM code with a PC host and serial connection).

2. The OP asked for Ethernet connection.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: Remote debugging
Thanks lads,