RAMDISK as root device

Hi,

I am running linux in a mips environment and I would like it to boot off of a ramdisk that I have loaded at a fixed address in memory. I don't want linux to copy the RAMDISK data to buffer heads etc. while booting since it is time-consuming in my setup(actually software simulation). What I would like to do is

- Build a linux with no RAMDISK embedded in it.

- Preload the RAMDISK at address X.

- Boot linux with "g root=address X" or any other way.

Is this possible? Will the RAMDISK be treated like a block device in this case?

thanks, Manoj

Reply to
Manoj