python

What do you guys think about embbedding the python language in a small
appliance, is that feasible?

It needs about 20 MB on my debian system, what do you think should be
the flash/ram requirements for such an appliance?

--
Andrea Fino 8-) - "Sistemi su misura di qualita' industriale"
                   "Handcrafted systems with industrial quality"

Re: python

Oh, an extra 128MB RAM, maybe.  Less if you have a swap device.

Have you ever noticed how much ram Python applets take up?
The little Red Hat Network icon takes up *64 MB* of RAM.
- Dan

Re: python

That's mostly GUI libraries.  Python has been embedded on
boards with no OS.  Google comp.lang.python for "deeply
embedded python"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm losing my
                                  at               hair...did it go to

Thanks a lot,
Andrea

--
Andrea Fino 8-) - "Sistemi su misura di qualita' industriale"
                   "Handcrafted systems with industrial quality"

Re: python

Nahh...I've used python on embedded stuff before and memory wasnt a huge
concern. Last project we used python 1.5 with a customized debian stable
install and total memory on the board was 64MB flash / 64MB RAM with
-- no swap of course.

Of that, I think python occupied about 6 MB, IIRC

There is (was) even a stackless-python floating around...it was designed
for CPU's with no MMU -- those would require even less memory.

Also you say it requires 20MB on your debian sys...I'm curious about
that...I would bet that if you type 'dpkg -l | grep python' much more
than just regular python is installed.

You may get much better results to download the source and compile your
own...only including the modules and site-packages that you need. You
could even package it up with something like checkinstall to make it a
nice .deb file for easy distribution / upkeep.

-Barry

Site Timeline