python

What do you guys think about embbedding the python language in a small appliance, is that feasible?

It needs about 20 MB on my debian system, what do you think should be the flash/ram requirements for such an appliance?

-- Andrea Fino 8-) - "Sistemi su misura di qualita' industriale" "Handcrafted systems with industrial quality"

[Phone: +39 071 2070104]+[Fax: +39 071 2077919]+[iaxtel:17002876594] [Web:
snipped-for-privacy@faino.org]

Reply to
Andrea Fino

Oh, an extra 128MB RAM, maybe. Less if you have a swap device.

Have you ever noticed how much ram Python applets take up? The little Red Hat Network icon takes up *64 MB* of RAM.

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

That's mostly GUI libraries. Python has been embedded on boards with no OS. Google comp.lang.python for "deeply embedded python"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm losing my
                                  at               hair...did it go to

Thanks a lot, Andrea

-- Andrea Fino 8-) - "Sistemi su misura di qualita' industriale" "Handcrafted systems with industrial quality"

[Phone: +39 071 2070104]+[Fax: +39 071 2077919]+[iaxtel:17002876594] [Web:
snipped-for-privacy@faino.org]

Reply to
Andrea Fino

Nahh...I've used python on embedded stuff before and memory wasnt a huge concern. Last project we used python 1.5 with a customized debian stable install and total memory on the board was 64MB flash / 64MB RAM with

-- no swap of course.

Of that, I think python occupied about 6 MB, IIRC

There is (was) even a stackless-python floating around...it was designed for CPU's with no MMU -- those would require even less memory.

Also you say it requires 20MB on your debian sys...I'm curious about that...I would bet that if you type 'dpkg -l | grep python' much more than just regular python is installed.

You may get much better results to download the source and compile your own...only including the modules and site-packages that you need. You could even package it up with something like checkinstall to make it a nice .deb file for easy distribution / upkeep.

-Barry

Reply to
Barry S