Python and learning programming

What version of Python comes with the Pi? I'm currently restarting programm
ing using Python 3 on my craptop, and the book I've bought (called "Program
ming for absolute beginners" or the like; it's been a long time since I did
any programming, and I've never used an object-oriented language, except D
elphi which is a Von Neumann language (Pascal) with an OO layer slapped on
top of it) sadly turned out to be for an earlier version of Python, so the
very first example gave a syntax error.
So, does the Pi come with an earlier Python, or will I have to get another
book?
Reply to
Robert Baker
Raspbian comes with both Python 2.x and Python 3.x. You get to choose. :)
Reply to
mick
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 04:49:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Baker declaimed the following:
The version will likely depend upon the distribution of the OS being installed (there are a few different OS variations). Most likely it will be something in the 2.5-2.7 style (I'd hope not as far back as a 2.4).

Without seeing your code sample it is hard to tell if you were using 2.x on a 3.x, or a 3.x on a 2.x -- in 2.x, "print" is a language statement (no parens needed; but usually not harmful either) while in 3.x it has become a library function (so what is to be printed needs to have parens around it).
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
The Raspbian OS (the one most commonly used with the Pi) comes with both Python 2.7 and Python 3.2 installed.
The "python" and "idle" commands are used for Python 2.
The "python3" and "idle3" commands are used for Python 3.
Reply to
Dom
Type python to a shell. On startup, it tells you the version info.
On my system:
murray@pi1:~$ python Python 2.7.3 (default, Mar 18 2014, 05:13:23) [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
There are commands for python2 and python3. Python (without a 2 or 3) gets you the one your distro picks.
murray@pi1:~$ python3 Python 3.2.3 (default, Mar 1 2013, 11:53:50) [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
murray@pi1:~$ python2 Python 2.7.3 (default, Mar 18 2014, 05:13:23) [GCC 4.6.3] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.