Programm is not running witout VGA

Hello,

We have a Linux 2.4 running on a Kontron Dimm-PC.

The system Software is not running properly, when we

let run it without a VGA graphic card module installed.

any idea for us?

Is there any Switch to ignore the Grafic card BIOS

Kindest regards

Nils Köhler

----------------------------------------------- Nils Köhler IBT Interfaces Im Taubhaus 19

63322 Rödermark Germany

Tel: +49-6074-6964-160 Fax: +49-6074-6964-161

Reply to
Nils Koehler

I think you should disable video support into the kernel and change kernel boot options in order to send console output to a serial port (ttyS0) instead of (tty0) for example. Kind regards

Marco Cavallini ============================================== Koan s.a.s. - Software Engineering (x86 and ARM) Linux and WinCE solutions for Embedded and Real-Time Software Klinux : the embedded distribution for industrial applications - Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner - Intel PCA Developer Network member Via Pascoli, 3 - 24121 Bergamo - ITALIA Tel. (++39) 035-255.235 - Fax (++39) 178-223.9748

-

Marco Cavallini

What do you mean by "System Software"? Linux Kernel, BIOS ?

You can configure Linux to use e.g. a serial port as console and you can remove the VGA console driver from the kernel. That should do the trick as far as Linux is concerned.

For the BIOS: most of them need a VGA card/Keyboard for the configuration dialog, so setting up the board configuration (and fixing it if there was, e.g. a CMOS checksum error ...) can only be done with a VGA card installed. Most BIOSes, however have an option where you can select wether a VGA/EGA card is "installed". I forget the names of the proper selections to be made, but this usually allows you to put the board into a mode where it will boot without a VGA.

HTH

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com

Thanks!

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ctnm9p$atk$01$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

Reply to
Nils Koehler

There is a VGA card emulator with a serial port available. You plug this card into the PC, and it simulates enough of a VGA card to fool the BIOS. All output to the console is then converted to a normal RS-232 serial stream. I have forgotten the name of the company, but it should be in the archives.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus